It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hand powered chain saw

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   

a close up of the actual blade system.

The handles and blade in full.

Now this little beauty will go through even the greenest wood fast, real fast. I have used it for the last year and a half now with a folding laplander as back up for smaller jobs.

It has been indespensible for felling / lopping to create a good sized fire with enough wood to burn heavily over night with who ever was on watch just dropping in a branch now and then.

Cheap to, but bloody effective.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Where did you get this little thing? I'm very interested. I usually take a bow saw blade with me when camping, i curl it up inside a mess tin. Your blade seems better though.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
hi there,

that loks a cool bit of kit ,
any idea of stockists ?? does it have a brand name ??

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Very, very, very interesting tool for someone who needs to build a "log cabin" but don't what to draw too much attention, specially about noise (me).

Can you show us some more pictures, perhaps ones of it been used?

Where did you get it from? Do you know where to buy it online?

Peace

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I also have been trying to get my head round this, I had an idea last night while looking at one of my old chainrings from my mountain bike.

I just need to think of something that will make it spin pretty fast while being silent

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I've seen those before and wondered if they really worked at all. is it heavy ?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I could actually use that thing around my yard for getting dead wood, AKA free fuel for heat, out of my trees that are too tall for my ladder. I have seen them advertised but have never read a positive review (but only one negative review - it didn't work for the reviewer). I have found that cutting sappy trees in the winter is much easier.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma
I also have been trying to get my head round this, I had an idea last night while looking at one of my old chainrings from my mountain bike.

I just need to think of something that will make it spin pretty fast while being silent

Want to think together? Because I´m also crazy to find a way to take down log trees in order to make a long cabin, but there's NO WAY I'll be able to use a "regular" chainsaw (electric or gasoline type) because of noise and difficulties to carry (because the spot I wish to build is very far away from roads and such.

Peace

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
LOL! I just ordered one of these about 5 minutes before logging onto ATS and seeing this post. Got mine for $19.45 with handles (or $16.95 without) from here:
www.campingsurvival.com...

They have a video of it in action.

I have realized that while I have a very good paying job, I'm still living paycheck-to-paycheck. If I get fired tomorrow I would be homeless within a month as I rent an apartment and have a car payment and no savings. With the way the economy seems to be going, I believe we are heading for another great depression.

I've been slowly building up equipment I would need to survive in a rural environment or rather living off the land approach. If I turn out to be wrong and everything is great. No problem; I have cool camping, hunting, and fishing gear for when I go on vacation.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Hey sorry for the no reply folks - but yes its a damn handy piece of kit - here is a full image of it uncurled to show length and size.

Oh and it curls up real tight into a hard sunglasses cases thats next to it. Goes every where with me when im in the wilds (and with the fire starting kit I have I am guaranteed a warm cosy fire 100 % of the time.

Got mine and other bits from these folks on E- bay.

stores.ebay.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Hi Dan Tanna

many thanks for the reply and the extra pic.

def will be getting one of them !!!

many thanks
snoopyuk

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Ime getting one to. Thats one of those things you see and say to your self. Thats so simple and smart why didn't I think of that.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I spose it would be quite easy to make, Just go down to somewhere that fixes chainsaws and ask if they have a fubared chain, Or just buy a chain off ebay and retrofit...., Max $10

Allthough I havn't checked ebay yet its on the to do list as of now.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dar Kuma
I spose it would be quite easy to make, Just go down to somewhere that fixes chainsaws and ask if they have a fubared chain, Or just buy a chain off ebay and retrofit...., Max $10

A regular chainsaw blade is not bi-directional and self-cleaning though. besides at $16 it's pretty cheap already. I didn't do any comparison shopping before buying, so you could probably find them cheaper elsewhere.

Edit to add that a chainsaw blade also bites deeper and will bind up more than one designed for human-power.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Snap]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

In this kit is the following.

At the back is tinder board. Its shreeded and treated and then pulped into what you can see there, and it lights even when wet in a down pour. Added to that is of course the magnesium stick and flint (seperate darker stick) for all fire lighting duties. Three strikes max makes a fire.

The scissors are high carbon content dual purpse. They make great strikers when you have cold wet hands, and also good for trimming off strips of tinder board to use as kindling if you making a smaller 'emergency' fire.

The small craft knife is a throw away job just as an emergency extra blade.

Add this kit to my chain saw and in less space and weight than a throw away paper back book i have a complete emergency fire / shelter making survival kit.

Kind regards, Daniel.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Now that is what I call a top gadget..I gotta get one!

I found a vid of someone constructing a neat tensioned-frame for theirs to use it as a 'conventianal' saw...

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
To be fair thats an Ok video, but if your going to be prepped any how a folding laplander will be in your kit any how....

Secondly, cutting towards your own thumb ??? God strewth man who taught you how to wittle wood ? a man with no thumbs ???

Thirdly, that fast aggressive action is not the best way to use the saw. Deep long strokes at a moderate speed and proper shoulder actions give a much less energy intensive cut - vital if your needing to cut all morning to build a hide / basha / shelter.

All said and done, a great vid, thanks for posting it as it all adds to the flavour of the thread
what ever minor niggles it may have.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I managed to find one for myself, i was really impressed with this tool. I also having a folding saw (laplander) and the blades on those hardly ever break. However if you want to cut large logs then it isn't going to be the best tool, and continual use on large logs probably isn't good for it.

So yeah i'm really glad you bought up this thread and made us aware of this lovely piece of kit.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
hey folks, I can say that this goes through a two foot tree with no worries at all.

Running out the way as it fell was another matter entirely.
But it did the job with ease.

And one last thing... get some shock cord or similar, and you can lob it up over harder to reach high bows and bring them down with ease.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Seen these before. not used one. but i have to say the tree that they are cutting through on that site is so dam rotten, you could karate chop it in half.

also waitng for the Dammit peice of crap snapped, thread from dan. lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join