It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nova Scotia Bans Pan Handling

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

An amendment to the Motor Vehicle Act making it an offense for panhandlers and squeegee kids to ask for money on roadways takes effect Sunday, and fines for breaking it range from $50 to $200.

Panhandling curbed

Utterly ridiculous!

This is what our joke of a political body spends their time worrying about and collecting tax payers dollars. Banning the panhandling of youth and under privileged, and utilizing monetary fines in order to curb it. If they are trying to make some money through panhandling, they obviously don't have any. So to offer a monetary fine, it's ludicrous. Now we're not talking about major cities with millions of people. We're talking of a province that is a vast majority of small, rural towns.

Our water is dirty and boil orders are regular around these parts. Illegal drugs and prescription medicines are being pushed onto unsuspecting victims like this part of the country has never seen. A big part of our population are senior citizens on fixed incomes who are forced to re-enter the work force to make ends meet. And what do our politicians do? Spend their day worrying about people looking for some spare change.

This infuriates me.

It is as if our province is trying to make a name for itself with innovative legislation. It is now illegal to drive a motor vehicle while using a cell phone, and also illegal to smoke a cigarette in your car if any one of your passengers is under the age of 19. I don't entirely disagree with these pieces of legislation, but it seemed to be pushed on us quick.

Now this?

A joke.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The article is kind of vague but I gather that people are banned from panhandling in any public area. Or is it just streets and sidewalks?

I don't really see why this is such an awful idea. I've never been to NS but in Toronto you can't go anywhere downtown without being downright accosted by people asking you for money. You can't sit on a park bench, buy a coffee, walk to work, go to an event, do anything that requires venturing into public without person after person asking for your change. And if you're in business clothes they swarm! Yes, why is this legislation such a bad idea?

Of course not all panhandlers behave like this. I have no problem tossing some cash to a musician or performance artist or anyone not simply begging for my money. But I can't even feel sorry for the one kid in the article - 23 years old! There's no reason for him to be panhandling in the first place. Especially in Canada, land of social programs and 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th chances at life.

I agree that the punishment of a fine is pretty dumb. (I know it's not what you meant) but would you rather throw them in jail? What else can be done to keep people from doing this?

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I hate beggars.

If im at a coffee store i want a coffee, not to be a charity box. If i am out with the wife i want a nice day, not a beggar wanting some thing.

They only get one warning with me, i have to speak again i drop them one hell of a jaw shot and detain them till the Police arrive. Aggressive begging is an arrestable offence here in the UK, and I will not tolerate it.

My local scabbies and beggars hate me, and i hate them, but they know I have a bigger and nastier gang than they do so they play safe and avoid me like the plague.

However, ask me about armed forces charities, parkinsons disease charities, fire fighter charities and ill empty my wallet for those folk.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
I agree that the punishment of a fine is pretty dumb. (I know it's not what you meant) but would you rather throw them in jail? What else can be done to keep people from doing this?

If they insist on making it law, then have violators of it face community service. Give them six, twelve, etc., months in order to successfully complete what is expected of them. At that point, if they have not.. issue a fine, warrant, etc.

It is a natural consequence to issue a fine for such an action, but given the parameters of the situation, it doesn't really apply. I disagree with the law, but I really oppose the punishment they are handing out.

As for the state of these beggars in Toronto, I really didn't have that problem. Granted it was only seven days that I spent their last summer, but I didn't have a problem at all. Most of the individuals with a cup were merely sitting on the sidewalk, out of the path that people were walking, and remained quiet. The odd one would ask, but they weren't really speaking directly to you. Just generically asking the question.

On a side note, I was in Montreal last month and for the first time I was actually frustrated by the beggars. A few were very instrusive and invaded my personal space. After having had to push through two or three of them, I was at my wits end. I typically give to those sitting idly by with a cup, or playing an instrument, but I never give to those who come up and practically demand it. But after being frustrated by a few instrusive ladies, a young guy on the sidewalk had asked me. I was frustrated and I simply said "No". Wasn't rude, just told him no. He said in response, "No worries my friend, I simply thank you for acknowledging me. That means more than any change you could have put in my cup".

Well after walking past him with my jaw dragging on the ground, I made damn sure that I did get some change and bring it back to him on my way back past him. I thanked him as I dropped the money in the cup.

What am I trying to say?

They're not all bad.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This is not that big of a deal to me, I am from nova Scotia (halifax to be exact) and the pan handeling problem is a big one. Not only do they annoy people but they fight each other over spots, they are disrespectful if you dont give them change (especialy the squeegy kids) (the people who wash your windows. Honestly, they #ing stink i hold my breath when i walk by them cause it makes me gag (im not over exaderating at all) ive seen them walk in the rain and have clean spots from where the rain hits NASTY! there coked out, heroin addicte who commit random acts of violence, a group of them pulled a knife on me before untill the got rebar to there teeth. they threatend my life after that and they tried to attack me and my friends again, till they got it again. They wrote death threats on the walls but never acted. They pulled the knife for no reason, just cause they where trippin off coke or heroin and drinks that they bought with bumed money.

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

No they're not all bad at all. It's not the ones with the cups you have to worry about! It's the ones who just come up to you with their hand out. Like I said before, I have no problem giving change to a musician or performer or even a clever sign, but to just ask for my money? Please.

I agree with your idea for the community service...good answer to my question. But no matter what the punishment, laws do need to be in place to keep panhandling to a minimum.

The worst I've ever seen wasn't in Canada, it was when I used to live in New Orleans. I swear, parents would pimp their kids out and make them stand on the street corner all day in the 100 degree heat, dress them in rags and make them look totally pathetic, and they couldn't come home until dark. You'd walk around and see the same kids outside hour after hour, singing a truly pathetic song or with homemade taps on their shoes made from soda cans. You just can't let things like that happen where it hasn't arleady taken hold.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Change? Change? Change? sounds like obama
lol, just jokes. Im for obama.

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Maybe this will convince the homeless to go find that treasure island loot.

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
The worst I've ever seen wasn't in Canada, it was when I used to live in New Orleans. I swear, parents would pimp their kids out and make them stand on the street corner all day in the 100 degree heat, dress them in rags and make them look totally pathetic, and they couldn't come home until dark. You'd walk around and see the same kids outside hour after hour, singing a truly pathetic song or with homemade taps on their shoes made from soda cans. You just can't let things like that happen where it hasn't arleady taken hold.

There are social services available which can help these panhandlers, but a certain percentage of them are too disorganized (mentally challenged or mentally ill), too suspicious of authority or just don't know about them or how to access them effectively. There should be more outreach, to bring these services to where the people are.

As for the children in New Orleans, I think the worst thing you can do is ignore them. If the parents are really putting them up to it, and just sitting at home waiting for the kids to bring in money(which I somehow doubt is the case in many of these instances) then society needs to intervene in a foreceful and effective way. Not to just get them off the streets, but to make sure they have the services they need to grow up healthy and whole.

top topics

join