It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Breaking News threads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Is it just me or is there a lack of Breaking News on the board lately?

It used to be I would see an average of three to 10 active on the recent post list at any given time yet of late it is rare that I see any at all.

Hmmmm........... Maybe I should start fishing around for the breaking stories myself and filling in the gap, but it used to seem that others had it covered!

Have we as a community lost interest in this type of story or what could it be???

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Naturally the day after I made this thread I found the board to be full of breaking news!

I am glad to see it that way because being that myself as well as many of you don't use the MSM I think it is important to get the important stuff here.

It amazes me how many times we can get things out before it makes the mainstream.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yeah but where u find the breaking news?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

HaHaHa! Right on!

Usually I see things on my home page or at times when searching for other things I run into something.

Most "breaking news" does indeed come from mainstream news but sometimes a magazine article or something can be a source.

Thanks for the reply!

If anyone else knows what other sources to look for breaking news it would be appreciated if you would share!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I tend to look at alternative news sources - just check out the alt news sites in the breaking news forum thread links (in the OP of each thread) and bookmark those you like best.

Be warned though that many alt news sites have a liberal slant, whereas the MSM has a more conservative slant.

It's also worth checking other sources for news stories you might find in order to decide what kind of alternative or conspiracy spin you want to put on it.

The best news threads are those where there are multiple sources and the author has taken the time to write a good and thoughtfull commentary on the story - something which is harder than it sounds.

I don't usually post in news threads with a single line of commentary, where the author has not taken the time to make the story interesting - this might be because I read a LOT of news stories each day, and can get a little jaded.

Also, don't get down if a news story doesn't immediately capture peoples attention - keep plugging away.

And happy news posting!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I usually go to www.sciencedaily.com for science news. It is professional and contains alot of current medical reports and studies that have just been released, by which extrapolation is possible.

And I noticed that one of our headlines in the Breaking News Forum is contained on SD's Front Page...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Have we as a community lost interest in this type of story or what could it be???

There was a recent 'crack down' on that forum due to many people submitting stories that didn't meet the requirement of alternative or breaking news. After being under closer scrutiny, threads have been getting moved to their appropriate forums like general news or political news. I'm sure like all forums, the submissions wax and wane.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Good info from all of you.

Thanks alot! I am shy about making threads anyway and to get no responses reinforces my lack of good subjects.

I will keep these resources handy and attempt to grow into a better thread maker!

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
for breaking news I go to:

reddit

digg

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Interested Always, forgive me for derailing your thread but this isn't worth a new thread.

Does anyone know why threads in the BBQ forum show up on 'recent posts' on BTS but not on ATS? Thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Actually, BBQ threads show up on the recent posts list for both ATS and BTS on my end. Even on PTS when we had it.

In fact, it is the only "ATS" forum that shows up on both boards for me...

I just had a thought....I have my Recent Posts to ATS and myATS. I also have BBQ added to myATS. That's perhaps why....

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Hm. I have my settings currently set to ATS and myATS but don't see it. It's not a problem, though. It was something I just noticed today but don't remember it always being like that. No biggie- just asking. Thanks for replying.

*Upon Trying Something* Ok. I see. Right now having it set to ATS & myATS, threads on this forum will not show up on the recent posts list. But when I switched it over to ATS only, I could see them. Thanks, MS. I never would have thought that was the problem.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
well I use this site for 1st headlines top breaking news it works for me, and usually has multiple sources.

The lack of news posts usually means a slow news day and for most people thats a good thing.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Reply to AshleyD

Not a derail at all, actually it your question helped keep the thread going!

[edit on 4-6-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
for breaking news I go to:

reddit

digg

More good sources! Thanks.

new topics

top topics

join