It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trafalger Square Closed For New Year.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Trafalger Square in London has been closed to New Year revellers suposedly for building work.Imagine Time Square being closed on New Years Eve in New York and you get some idea of how unrealistic this sounds.People in London are being advised to see the new year in quietly at home.
The BBC gave this news on the 6 o'clock news this evening and quickly followed that report with an update on the arrest in Scotland recently of some suspected terrorists and a warning that New Year revellers could be targeted.
That Trafalger Square is off limits must mean that somebody must take this seriously or that indeed Trafalger Square is just having building work done but I find that hard to believe as it is Trafalger Squares biggest night of the year.It's like arranging to have building work done at the Cenotaph in London on Remembrance Sunday.
I'm afraid I can't find a link to a news report so if somebody could confirm this it would be good.
Now,if Trafalger Square was a target then those with any bomb would now be looking for an alternative target in London.
Is security Tight in Time Square?

posted on Dec, 31 2002 @ 01:44 PM
link   
you'd have to have a paid subscription to read the article. However, if you look in the london section, you'll see that he's correct...

www.timesonline.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 1 2003 @ 02:41 AM
link   
If you're in the UK, J-B, I think you'll find the Times site is still free (30 quid overseas, the buggers).
The Guardian's always free and a run-down here: www.guardian.co.uk...
The World Service covered the topic at noon today (4 a.m. back home) and it does all seem something of a damp squib this year -oddly enough, it was a helluva night in North China.

posted on Jan, 2 2003 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It wasn't closed, I live in London and drive a cab for a living, every year they recommend people keep away, if you ever get to see it it's enormously overcrowded at New Year.
Oh and there is building work going on, its a long term plan to pedestrianise a section near the National Gallery to make it more accessible to people on foot.
Saying that however, we are constantly being told to look out for terrorist stuff all the time, the biggest potential target being the tube system (underground trains)

[Edited on 3-1-2003 by moonclamp]

[Edited on 3-1-2003 by moonclamp]

top topics

join