It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucid Dream or something else?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   

But I'm still confused because I read that sometimes in a lucid dream you think you hear something that you actually didn't hear. So maybe if I thought I heard a question, I answered to it. Maybe that's a lucid dream

No, if you get a lucid dream you won't have to wonder. A lucid dream is like the ultimate video game where you can do anything and everything you want in an incredibly realistic environment. It seems amazingly similar to real life except for some small differences and the fact that you can do and change anything at will.

What you did was related to lucid dreaming only in that it has to do with altered states of consciousness. Every time you go to sleep your brain goes through several "trance" states, as I understand it, and the state just before you fall asleep is called hypnogogia I think. This is where you will hallucinate, see random images flash by, think random thoughts etc - basically you're just about to fall asleep.

In your case since you were very tired in an "awake" situation, your brain was starting to fall asleep yet you retained enough consciousness to speak but it was probably confusing because you spoke from a near dream-state, about whatever random thought you were starting to dream about. In other words, your "consciousness" shifted for a brief instant to a random imagined dream thing rather than the real world. This is perfectly normal when you're very tired, etc.

As a sidenote, in this state (if you ever find yourself in it again), you'll probably notice a heightened ability to visualize or listen or remember things. For example, I can listen to and even compose music in this state (but it's hard to balance just between sleep and consciousness), and it sounds just like I was really listening to it physically.

[edit on 21-7-2009 by ac500]

<< 1   >>

join