It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pelosi Credits Iran's "Goodwill" for Surge Success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Pelosi Credits Iran's "Goodwill" for Surge Success

www.commentarymagazine.com

Well, the purpose of the surge was to provide a secure space, a time for the political change to occur to accomplish the reconciliation. That didn’t happen. Whatever the military success, and progress that may have been made, the surge didn’t accomplish its goal. And some of the success of the surge is that the goodwill of the Iranians-they decided in Basra when the fighting would end, they negotiated that cessation of hostilities-the Iranians.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Is she serious?

She completely ignores the efforts of our troops and instead thanks the people who are doing a good portion of the killing on their restraint.

Is this what we can expect from Democrats?

www.commentarymagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Pelosi is an idiot. Iran, like the US, backs the current Iraqi government, the recently renamed SCIRI. Those guys spent years in Tehran and in many cases still draw Iranian state pensions for their efforts against Saddam.

If she wants to name any group in the region who helped reduce the violence, it would be Al-Sadr's unilateral ceasefire, along with the Awakening thrashing Al-Qaeda in Mesopotamia so bad they've had to retreat to another province - a process that means it will take them months to become operational once again.

Then again, politics was never Pelosi's strong suite.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
amazing

so if someone says something that you don`t agree with or follow the neocon agenda - there an idiot? if they try and make peace by *gasp* talking to BOTH sides then there an idiot.

i thought such ignorance had been buried - oh how wrong i am.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It's a fair point from Pelosi, Iran clearly has called upon sections of Iraq like Moqtada Al Sadar's Mehdi army to calm down on it's attacks on Americans for what purpose we don't know, obviously the troops deserve some credit but if Iran wants to along with the Iraqi elements who are not influenced by Iran they could unleash hell on these men and women. She may be preparing everyone for the realization that when(Hopefully) Obama is eleceted direct negotiations will open with Iran

But did you all really expect Iran to sit back and watch America install a puppet regime? America has launched these kind of proxy wars again and again and continue to do so within Iran and other countries around the world, this is called a counter-attack.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
amazing

so if someone says something that you don`t agree with or follow the neocon agenda - there an idiot? if they try and make peace by *gasp* talking to BOTH sides then there an idiot.

Um, I'm disagreeing with the OP and Pelosi. The soldiers are not really responsible for the success of the surge, and neither is Iran.

And Pelosi is an idiot. She clearly doesn't understand the alliances in the region, which is pretty worrying given the importance they currently hold in US Middle Eastern policy. The decreased violence in Iraq has to do with groups outside of Iran's control entirely.

Oh, and I'm about the furthest thing from a NeoCon you can be. Well, maybe that's slight exaggeration, but I'm definitely on the wrong side of the fence so far as they are concerned. I just happen to value facts over partisan bickering, and I'm not afraid to call out someone for being a moron when they are, regardless of political affiliation.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin

Yes, and when did she try and talk to the Iranians? Why can't she give her own citizens any credit in this case? When did she talk to both sides?

Yep, though you don't have to look far for it.

[edit on 30/5/08 by COOL HAND]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rogue Element
Um, I'm disagreeing with the OP and Pelosi. The soldiers are not really responsible for the success of the surge, and neither is Iran.

You don't think the presence of those troops helped prod them into that cease fire?

top topics

join