It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why not flying cars?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Why can't we have flying cars like the Jetson's? With the technology we have now this could be possible. I know of some websites that have some working prototypes but nothing carved in stone.
I suppose I have grown tired of the asphalt ballet, and the orange barrell shuffel.

You could map out a highway in the skies with the technology in computers we have these days. Upload the information too said flying car just like GPS and your off to your destination.

Maybe Im making it easier that it sounds but I think it could be possible.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Darth Logan

Heh what a coincidence, I was discussing this with a friend a few weeks back.

Well you see, its not the matter of just building "Jetsons" cars. Yes, there are already prototypes, and the technology is not something that will hold us back. The thing is, you need a license in order to drive a car..
Now for a "flying" car it will be very different. Since your no longer on the road, and sharing air space with thousands of other potentially flying cars, bikes, scooters, etc... it will not be as easy at it sounds.

I think there will be alot of rules & regulations before you can actually hop in your hovercar and take to the sky. Plus think of the cost of filling up everytime and also the cost of the car itself. It will be something that only wealthy people will want to consider.

Hope this answers your question.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Would it be more gas efficient? I think it'd be much more difficult to incorporate into our society. Everyone would basically have to take another driver's test, or maybe still have the option of driving on the road? Nonetheless, it's also substantially more dangerous. And imagine how that would effect insurance.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I remember when they were making promises to have these thing on the market by 2002 lol. no cars, but here's something cool:

www.youtube.com...

the GEN H-4 from Gene corporation - Japan is your personal helicopter. It comes with a seat and landing gear so all you have to do is strap on and you are ready to go.

source:
www.newlaunches.com...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Way less fuel efficient. 10 gallons per hour minimum just to hover 2 people in ground effect. And an order of magnitude more difficult than to drive or ride a motorcycle. Even with computer stability control, the human pilot must be able to control the vehicle when the computer fails. Because of Effective Translational Lift, the vehicle will be capable of flying at four kilometers above ground level, not just to skim the sidewalk.

Take an introductory lesson in a helicopter. Your eyes will be opened.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Chakotay]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by prodigymytch
Would it be more gas efficient? I think it'd be much more difficult to incorporate into our society. Everyone would basically have to take another driver's test, or maybe still have the option of driving on the road? Nonetheless, it's also substantially more dangerous. And imagine how that would effect insurance.

Yep, yet another reason --> Insurance.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Thanks for the response! I was'nt expecting any intrest in the subject.
I am a fan of the M400 Skycar . Its just unfortunate this company did not get more recognition some 30 years ago.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Wow, the M400 has a very sleek beautiful design. This could easily appear on the market...not sure if it would cost an arm or a leg though. Imagine 30 years ago what it would cost.. :O

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MASH_DADDY

LOL! I always tease my girlfriend, and I tell her someday im going to purchase one of these bad boy's. And you can only guess what kind of a response I get. You would be correct in saying I do not own a flying car.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Hahaha, yep I can only imagine..
Hopefully you still DO have your testicles though.. lol

top topics

join