It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

War on Terrorism justified even though..?

page: 1
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Is the war on terrorism justified (well, specifically Iraq) even though WMD arent found/ Bin Laden isnt found?
Personally I think it is because whole nations have been liberated. The deposition of a brutual dictator who was causing his country to develop backwards is undoubtably a good thing, and once Iraq stabilizies, I hope people will see this.
The same roughly applies to Afghanistan, though from what I hear in the news it's starting to get much riskier for soldiers out there.




posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The war on terror is a war for terror. The more I look at the reasons behind the war on terror the more I am disgusted.

"You can't wage war on an abstract noun."



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
War against Terrorism works just fine for me.



regards
seekerof



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
well the way i look at it is that most countries have been fighting against terrorism for years (britian,france,etc) but since 9/11 America has decided to fight fire with fire. At the time, some believed it was a good idea, but know the world is more of a dangerous place



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
"war on terrorism" is a stupid, never-ending, open doors to many more future military involvements in which there would be no clear outcomes. Not to mention it is extremely costly in several ways. It is a "war" in which there will never be a victor.

and if dictators were such a threat to terrorism, how come we are not rushing to go to Cuba or North Korea. If we're going to claim "liberation for a people", then we should just go around liberating everyone who is living in a corrupt government shouldn't we? There are many countries around the world in which the people are crying "liberation".



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by browha
Is the war on terrorism justified (well, specifically Iraq) even though WMD arent found/ Bin Laden isnt found?
Personally I think it is because whole nations have been liberated. The deposition of a brutual dictator who was causing his country to develop backwards is undoubtably a good thing, and once Iraq stabilizies, I hope people will see this.
The same roughly applies to Afghanistan, though from what I hear in the news it's starting to get much riskier for soldiers out there.


For once Browha, I agree with you.

Let's not forget that Saddam has used WMD's in the past, who's to say that he wouldn't have used them in the future if we hadn't gotten him?



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Are you safer now than you were before 9-11? Nope.

Are Iraqis? Nope.

Are you in fact MORE in danger now that many countries around the world now realize that it is now possible for the US Army to go to war based on totally false allegations? Yes.

Has your Adminstration pushed your country farther and farther into debt in order to rebuild a country that they bombed in the first place? Yes, they have.

U.S. taxpayers pay for the bombs and then have to pay for the reconstruction. Nice gig.

The War on Terror is a sham. If it's fight fire with fire then the US is guilty of using terrorism to further it's goals (what do you call Shock And Awe, the huge bombing night on Baghdad's civilian population if not State-Sponsored Terrorism).

A sham, and one that will bankrupt your country because it is unwinnable.



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
The war on terror is a war for terror. The more I look at the reasons behind the war on terror the more I am disgusted.

"You can't wage war on an abstract noun."


I agree.. we (the people) would not have so much fear, if we wernt constantly reminded of the alert systems... and how we are searching for people that are threatening us.. but can't find them. Jesus.. I feel like I am going to wet my pants twice a day because of all of there shanagins. We should put up our walls, make sure that we are safe *WITHOUT VIOLATING RIGHTS* and leave it at that.. Im sorry the people died in 9/11 but by being scared of a couple of terrorist.. we give them what they want. Power.. and by giving them power the US looses theres.



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Are you safer now than you were before 9-11? Nope.

Are Iraqis? Nope.

Are you in fact MORE in danger now that many countries around the world now realize that it is now possible for the US Army to go to war based on totally false allegations? Yes.

Has your Adminstration pushed your country farther and farther into debt in order to rebuild a country that they bombed in the first place? Yes, they have.

U.S. taxpayers pay for the bombs and then have to pay for the reconstruction. Nice gig.

The War on Terror is a sham. If it's fight fire with fire then the US is guilty of using terrorism to further it's goals (what do you call Shock And Awe, the huge bombing night on Baghdad's civilian population if not State-Sponsored Terrorism).

A sham, and one that will bankrupt your country because it is unwinnable.




Won't it also bankrupt yours, since you are helping us fight the war on terror?



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Cool Hand: Nope, it won't bankrupt Canada. Our population is 1/10th of the US and our military support reflects that. We have no troops in Iraq, and only a few thousand in Afghanistan.

Canada's military is kind of a joke, we had to SHIP a helicopter to the Gulf because they weren't sure it could make the flight.




posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
No Cool Hand,
Canada will not go bankrupt over the War on/against Terrorism.

Canada is going bankrupt quite nicely on its on....
>military
>socialized healthcare system

Between those two....thats enough for now, don't you think?




regards
seekerof

[Edited on 2-3-2004 by Seekerof]



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Seeker: Haha, nice try. Try to maybe study some international money policy before you go commenting on how Canada is doing.

Our economy is stronger than the US, our socialized medicine is working just fine, and the Canadian dollar is at its highest point in decades against the US dollar.

Oh, and the EU isn't slapping us with any billion-dollar sanctions either.

www.iht.com...

Eep. Start cashing in those bonds.



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
well the way i look at it is that most countries have been fighting against terrorism for years (britian,france,etc) but since 9/11 America has decided to fight fire with fire. At the time, some believed it was a good idea, but know the world is more of a dangerous place


yes, america has decided to fight fire with fire, but i don't think the world is more dangerous for it, at least....not yet. i think the world is more AWARE of the danger that has already been building due to a number of reasons before 9/11. i'll concede (and yes, i'm a bush supporter) that the fact that there have been no WMD's found is a very negative thing. it makes america look dumb, and there has been wasted effort. BUT...there are other reasons why i think the war with iraq is overall good. obviously, for human rights issues, and also, iraq did have ties to al qaeda or other terrorist networks, even if they were indirect. this fact on its own justifies the war, but it is being over-powered by the WMD's fiasco.



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Seeker: Haha, nice try. Try to maybe study some international money policy before you go commenting on how Canada is doing.

Our economy is stronger than the US, our socialized medicine is working just fine, and the Canadian dollar is at its highest point in decades against the US dollar.

Oh, and the EU isn't slapping us with any billion-dollar sanctions either.

www.iht.com...

Eep. Start cashing in those bonds.




Umm, how about contest these while your at it Jak:



Healthcare system:

"Socialized Medicine Is on Life Support in Britain and Canada"
www.newsmax.com...

"Premiers fear collapse of health-care system"
www.thestar.com.../Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1077664212935&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968 350116467

Military:

"Unilateral Disarmament in Canada"
www.americanthinker.com...

"'Bankrupt' Forces may shut 5 bases"
www.canada.com...


You were saying again? 'Denial' is spelled how?




regards
seekerof



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hey Seeker,
Canada doesn't need a military anyway, there's nothing there of value Besides, no one would attack them for fear of hitting us and getting us involved.



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Seeker: Whatever. The bottom line is : If I gt sick or am in an accident and I require medical attention, it is PAID FOR by my government. I flash my Medicare card and I don't pay for medical treatment. Tell me you wouldn't want that. For you and for your children.

As for our military, Whatever again. We face no threats because nobody would invade us, because we have this huge ravenous military monster along one of our borders. Why should we even bother when the US wouldn't let us get taken over anyway, for strategic purposes at the least.

Just like Cool Hand said.

So I'll just sit here and drink my strong beer, speak my two languages, pay my crippling taxes and do my sexually permissive women.

And shovel frickin snow.

jako



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Wake up Browa! America's wars are justifiable for the elite, while the masses are subject to trickle down propaganda.
Saddam's Inequities as rationale for the latest campaign are laughable. One finds themself looking in a mirror.
Have a look see: WE propogated Hussein's weapons programs in the 1980's to fight the Iranians. WE trained the 9/11 style Mujadeen in Afghanistan to fight the Russians. WE slaughtered the Native Americans under the religous guise of Manifest Destiny. WE sent hundreds of thousands of troops to their demise to fight a proxy war in Vietnam. WE introduced CRACK COCAINE into the ghettos of America after the Africans were removed from their homeland, slave labored, and ridiculed for the color of their skin . And oh yes, WE dropped NUCLEAR BOMBS on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Riddle me this Browa: What is your definition of terrorism?



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Seeker: Whatever. The bottom line is : If I gt sick or am in an accident and I require medical attention, it is PAID FOR by my government. I flash my Medicare card and I don't pay for medical treatment. Tell me you wouldn't want that. For you and for your children.

As for our military, Whatever again. We face no threats because nobody would invade us, because we have this huge ravenous military monster along one of our borders. Why should we even bother when the US wouldn't let us get taken over anyway, for strategic purposes at the least.

Just like Cool Hand said.

So I'll just sit here and drink my strong beer, speak my two languages, pay my crippling taxes and do my sexually permissive women.

And shovel frickin snow.

jako


HAHAHAHA!!!


You know when Canadians complain about Americans, it can get really funny. Yes, you get all these "benefits" from your government at the expense of....what? The strength of your economy, being told how to spend your money, depending more on your government and giving it more power, (by looking at history, you should know what happens to any kind of government when it gets more and more power) and not being able to take care of yourself instead.

A military monster huh? Haha, well, I'll take that as a compliment. You should be happy. The nation south of you that you dislike so much is one that helps keep you safe, due to your own military impotency, and your economy and trade relies on us as well. So, you don't like us, but you know what? Beggars can't be choosers.



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
So I'll just sit here and drink my strong beer, speak my two languages, pay my crippling taxes and do my sexually permissive women.


If you think your taxes are bad now, just think what they would be like if you had to put money towards defense?



[Edited on 2-3-2004 by COOL HAND]



posted on Mar, 2 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Like many here I have many doubts as too the true nature of our current administration. However the fight against terrorists is something I do support. As the Green Beret motto: "To free the oppressed." Look at how many of their own people the terrorists kill for their own warped views.

In my opinion its down to the soldiers on the front line to make the real difference its their decisions that save civilians, which is what is quite troubling in Iraq right now. Look at Somalia, most of the soldiers over there were largely volunteer.

Yes I was against going into Iraq in the first place, and I still hate politicians, but Ive decided to go back into the ARMY (Im dedicated to becoming a Ranger) because its about time we started hunting these bastards down seriously and bringing some sort of good out of this whole mess.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join