It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airport bungle gives passenger $10,000 in drugs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

An unsuspecting passenger who flew to Tokyo is carrying one million yen's worth of cannabis compliments of customs authorities after a bungled exercise involving sniffer dogs.

An officer at Narita International Airport yesterday stuffed 142 grams of the drug into the side pocket of a randomly-selected black suitcase coming off an overseas flight so that the animal could detect it.

"The dog couldn't find it and the officer also forgot which bag he put it in," a customs office spokeswoman said.

"If by some chance passengers find it in their suitcase, we're asking them to return it."

The 38-year-old officer was quoted by the spokeswoman as saying: "I knew that using passengers' bags (for sniffer dog training) is prohibited, but I did it because I wanted to improve the sniffer dog's ability."

He was reprimanded by the head of customs at Narita airport.

Full story

Someone is getting some major munchies in Japan at the moment haha!

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
"An unsuspecting passenger"..."142 grams" - That's over 5 ounces...Can't these sniffer dogs smell smaller amounts??

www.smh.com.au...

In half of cannabis finds, the amount weighed less than 1.6 grams

IMHO That was setup, that was a perfect deal so to speak

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
How the heck does 142 grams of cannabis equate to $10,000? At the very most, at street level, that would be worth $2000, and even that is stretching it quite a bit. Where I am it isn't even worth a grand.
I love how the values of drug seizures are always inflated to make people think it's more serious than it is.

[edit on 27-5-2008 by TheComte]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This topic was already posted and being discussed here:

Cannabis blunder at Tokyo airport

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

it's calculated at street value,not in bulk.
So if you sell x ammount of 8ths,then you'll make more than if you sold it in ounces.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
reply to post by TheComte

it's calculated at street value,not in bulk.
So if you sell x ammount of 8ths,then you'll make more than if you sold it in ounces.

No sh#%. Really? Even at $15/gram it only adds up to $2100 and change.
Let's see. To get $10000 out of 142 grams it would have to go for $70.42/gram. I doubt it's that expensive even in Japan. But, I don't live there so I don't know for sure.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Please add to this ongoing Thread

Cannabis blunder at Tokyo airport

--------- *Thread closed*-------------

top topics

join