It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful aftershock hits China; 1 killed, 260 hurt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Powerful aftershock hits China; 1 killed, 260 hurt

news.yahoo.com

CHENGDU, China - One of the most powerful aftershocks to hit quake-ravaged central China killed one person, left dozens more injured and leveled homes Sunday, as soldiers carrying explosives hiked to a blocked-off river to alleviate the threat of floods.

Some 260 people were injured in the aftershock Sunday afternoon, the government-run China News Service said, with 24 in serious condition. The agency said many homes had collapsed and roads were damaged, but gave no specific figures.

The magnitude 5.8 aftershock was among the most powerful recorded since the initial May 12 quake, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The China National Seismic Network, which uses a different measurement system, said the aftershock was the strongest of dozens. The aftershock caused office towers to sway in Beijing, 800 miles away.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 25-5-2008 by grover]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
MAN... ya got to feel for these people... if I were in their shoes I would be a nervous wreck.

As I have mentioned before I have friends who are teaching English in the area 30 to 40 miles from the epicenter and were featured on 2 NPR interviews. I haven't heard lately but I pray that they are still okay... I know their daughters are trying to get them out.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
the magnitude was 6.4 according to china's report.四川青川发生6.4级余震

[edit on 25-5-2008 by haidian]

new topics

top topics

join