It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate deals defeat to Bush on Iraq war spending

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Senate deals defeat to Bush on Iraq war spending

www.poststar.com

WASHINGTON - In a stunning vote that illustrated President Bush's diminished standing, the Senate on Thursday ignored his veto threat and added tens of billions of dollars for veterans and the unemployed to his Iraq war spending bill.

A majority of Republicans broke ranks with Bush on a veto-proof 75-22 vote while adding more than $10 billion for various other domestic programs, including heating subsidies for the poor, wildfire fighting, road and bridge repair, and health research.

Democrats crowed about their victory. But the developments meant more confusion about when the must-pass measure might actually become law and what the final version will contain.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
News like this is good news...To me, it indicates that Washington DC is finally waking up to the fact that the People are starting to wake up.
And more importantly, actually starting to tell their elected representatives who the real boss is in the USA.

www.poststar.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is really good news. It's about time Congress stood up to this lame duck president. I hope the trend continues because we can't afford another Bush law being passed.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Did you read the article? They added billions of dollars of pork to the bill, that's what the President was trying to avoid. They took a war funding bill and added funds for many other things and then wrote in a tax increase for the rich.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I've tried using the direct link to the article in the OP but I keep getting a 404 (not found) error. I think it may be because they've moved it from it's original location, so I'm re-posting the link here

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
Did you read the article? They added billions of dollars of pork to the bill, that's what the President was trying to avoid.

Did you read the article? That "pork," as you call it, actually spends the money here in the USA, on Americans, not on furthering the illegal war overseas: That is what Bush is trying to avoid!

...A majority of Republicans broke ranks with Bush on a veto-proof 75-22 vote while adding more than $10 billion for various other domestic programs, including heating subsidies for the poor, wildfire fighting, road and bridge repair, and health research...

...including money for Gulf Coast hurricane recovery, NASA, and additional food and drug safety inspectors _ that even GOP conservatives such as Sens. Larry Craig and Mike Crapo of Idaho rebuffed the White House. The duo were strong supporters of $400 million to subsidize schools in rural counties hit hard by declines in timber revenues.

The bill also contained $490 million for grants to local police departments, $451 million to repair roads damaged by natural disasters, $200 million for the space shuttle program, and $400 million for National Institutes of Health research projects...

new topics

top topics

join