It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke Plant Bomb Plot - Two Arrested - Reactors Shut Down

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Two people have been arrested in Sweden trying to get explosives into a Oskarshamn nuclear power plant in Sweden. The two have had unrestricted access to the plant for several days before they got arrested. They don't know yet whether more explosives have already been placed in the plant. Reactor 1 and 2 have been shut down and they're now searching for more explosives.

Two arrests in nuke plant bomb plot

"At 8am we received a call from the nuclear plant at Oskarshamn. They told us one worker was stopped in the control. He had explosive material in his bags," Sven-Erik Karlsson of the Kalmar county police told AFP.

[---]

"The explosive material has been taken care of by ... police and apparently it is highly explosive, probably TATP," Karlsson said.

[---]

TATP is relatively easy to make and has surfaced in a number of recent terrorism investigations, including bombings in the Middle East and the London bombings in July 2005.

It was the same type of explosive that Al-Qaeda "shoe bomber" Richard Reid tried to detonate on a Miami-bound flight in December 2001, three months after the September 11 attacks in New York and Washington that killed some 3,000.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is very disturbing. Terrorists are apparently targetting nuclear plants...

Other Sources:
Siktet for atomsabotasje (in Norwegian...)
Dagens Nyheter: Reaktor stängd efter misstänkt sabotage (in Swedish...)
Bloomberg: Sweden Police Hold Two on Nuclear Sabotage Suspicion (Update6) (in English)

Related Threads:
Nuclear Power Plant In Sweden Sealed Off - Bird Flu Confirmed
Sweden was 2 hours from a disaster worse than Chernobyl

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sweden?
What did the Swedes do to garner attention from terrorists? It just seems really odd to me, do they even have a role in the WOT? Does Sweden have a history of terrorist attacks or plots? Pretty scary how the two individuals had access to the plant for several days. The articles state that the two were contractors hired to do maintenance work on one of the facility's three reactors and that they are Swedish citizens as well.

I wonder how lax security is there compared to other nuclear facilities
around the world. How easy would it be for other individuals to attempt.

TATP is new to me, but it looks like its a pretty popular explosive:

TATP was used by the four suicide bombers who killed 52 subway and bus passengers in London on July 7, 2005. Richard Reid, the would-be British "shoe bomber," tried unsuccessfully to detonate TATP on an airliner in 2001, and authorities say an alleged ring of Islamic militants planned to blow up as many as 10 London-to-U.S. flights in 2006 with TATP bombs.

In the United States, the FBI says ecoterrorists and extremist animal rights groups are believed to use similar explosives. The agency considers peroxide explosives the most likely weapon that terrorists will try to use against the U.S.

Great find Hellmutt

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by aecreate

What did the Swedes do to garner attention from terrorists?

There was a Swedish artist, Lars Vilks, who angered some muslims not so long ago. Maybe it's related somehow? I don't know...

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I was wondering the same thing.. why Sweden?
But perhaps it's the cartoon thing, or it's just because they were able to get in there versus getting access to any other nuclear plant.

Very scary....

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
This power plant's emergency bunker was being used as a commando central in the battle against bird flu two years ago. The bird flu was detected near the power plant, causing them to shut it down and seal off the plant.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This one is already getting buried and covered up. There was explosive recovered from the perp. There were bomb threats called in to the plant. The media is white washing this people, wake up.

It is one of two things:

1. An actual attempt.

2. A false flag, so we won't believe alsquida smuggled the three suitcase nukes across the border from mexico with the help of the MS-13 street gang.

I think either is just as bad. They may be trying to trick us into thinking they have not purchased suitcase nukes. We need to watch this close.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It's obvious why Sweden.

Fear.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Terrorism isn't as much the impact of an attack, but the message it sends out. A bomb goes off in London and it's tragic, but kind of expected. If you bomb somewhere which has no ties or has never done anything wrong, you've achieved fear.

People will realise that no-where is safe and that's what terrorists want. To terrorise.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I forgot about the swedish artist, thanks for that.

Here's a thread related to Nuke Plants stateside-

"Red Team" Penetrates Nuke Lab's Security, Reaches "Superblock"

www.globalresearch.ca

During a mock exercise at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), an antiterrorist "red team" breached security and penetrated Building 332, the so-called "Superblock" where some 2,000 pounds of plutonium and weapons-grade uranium are stored. Lab security personnel failed miserably, TIME magazine reported.

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
As usual, we need to wait for more details before jumping to conclusions. The article said both arrested people were Swedish citizens, I would like to find out more details about them before making judgements.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
How come this article from Danish Politiken, only states:

"traces of TATP was found on a plastic bag one of the workers was carrying toilet requisites in"

Nothing near this:

"He had explosive material in his bags," Sven-Erik Karlsson of the Kalmar county police told AFP."

from the OP.

I think it's an error reading of some kind and the yellow press is jumping the bandwagon of fear. Nothing sells like fear.

[ed sp]

[edit on 22/5/2008 by khunmoon]

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
They shut down reactor O2 yesterday. Then they shut down reactor O1 last night. Oskarshamn has three reactors and two of them are now shut down, perhaps for a couple of days, while they'll search for explosives. They say the suspected saboteurs have had access to several critical areas within the power plant.

Ännu en reaktor stoppades (in Swedish...)

More here, for those who can read Swedish :

Sprängmedlet upptäcktes av en slump (also in Swedish...)

The plant lacked (required) security equipment for detecting explosives. It was discovered by pure luck/coincidence, they say...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
They didn't find any explosives in O2.

They'll start searching O1 with dogs this afternoon, and they believe they'll be done by the evening (it's now 11:20am). If they don't find anything, they'll have a meeting with the police and decide whether they should restart the reactors.

Oskarshamn saknar bombkontroll (in Swedish...)

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
For the news to be "balanced and fair" this article should be linked too:

"De misstänkta släpps i dag" (Suspects to be set free today)

This story have nothing, absolutely nothing but paranoia to it.

All the links say nothing but "traces" of explosives. Why the police officer is quoted as in the OP, I don\t know except for sensationalism. I doubt the quote is true.

Think about it folks. The bag was used for carrying toilet gear. TATP is made from ingredients common in toilet itims. The 'A' stands for Acetone, the 'P' for Peroxid. Ingredients to be found in most bathrooms.

It's a storm in a glass of water.

Sorry to be the debunker here.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
The suspects have been released. The police won't say much, and it's not clear whether they are still suspects. I guess they're not, since they got released. However, the reactors are still down (!) and reactor O1 are still to be searched for explosives. This is very strange. Whatever the outcome, someone will receive a huge bill for this.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
They still have status as suspects. Nobody knows how long the reactors will be stopped...

Nuclear sabotage suspects released

"After completing the interrogations with the detained, the prosecutor has today decided to release them, but the suspicions remain," Sven-Erik Karlsson of the Kalmar police told reporters in Oskarshamn, where the plant is located.

[---]

"When the welder was stopped because the equipment indicated something on his plastic bag, further tests were done," OKG spokesman Anders Österberg said in a statement, adding "there was no doubt" there was an illegal substance on the bag.

[---]

"We don't know yet how long the reactor will be stopped. It depends on the police investigation," he said, adding that the third reactor would remain up and running.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Think about it folks. The bag was used for carrying toilet gear. TATP is made from ingredients common in toilet itims. The 'A' stands for Acetone, the 'P' for Peroxid. Ingredients to be found in most bathrooms.

I don't know about TATP but it sounds as if the authorities are pretty confident in the residue found. I am guessing that the TATP gives off a different chemical signiture then just the components of it. More info is needed.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
This is very strange. Whatever the outcome, someone will receive a huge bill for this.

Yeh, 5 million SKR aday per reactor, two closed down on the second day now, 20 million SKR so far, about 3,5 million USD.

Nothing too costly in the War of Terror, because this is just a reminder to keep up the fear. IMO, they could have found some ethnic welder to make it more convincing.

Also of course it's to press Oskarshamn to install full security measures.

What bothers me about these kind of stories, the alarm goes off and put the world on alert --that's the message-- it is reported worldwide, but when it all fizzles out no one reports it. I just checked Bloomberg; they have timestamps, "last updated 15:37 EDT," a liittle more than an hour ago, and no mention of the suspects being released.

The message has been delivered: BE AFRAID! ...and so it'll remain from Moldovia to Chicago.

I would call conspiracy here, and Vattenfall AB sure is part of Bilderberg, Comitee of 300, etc.

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

IMO, they could have found some ethnic welder to make it more convincing.

Maybe it's the Russians? Ref.: The bird flu thread and the Russian virus expert/"spy"...

posted on May, 22 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

IMO, they could have found some ethnic welder to make it more convincing.

Maybe it's the Russians? Ref.: The bird flu thread and the Russian virus expert/"spy"...

I haven't seen any reference whatsoever to the names, nationalities, or religious persuasion of either suspect. In the US that's a sure sign they are muslim.

Have I just missed this in the stories released so far?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join