It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity controlling the masses?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I've had a good solid debate tonight with a good friend of mine who is agnostic. I believe thats the correct term, meaning a person who believes in a higher power, just perhaps maybe not the God of the Bible. If thats not the correct term, the definition of what he is, is correct lol. Please correct me if you can.

Anyway, we debated whether or not Christianity (or any religion for that matter) was something created to control society or the masses much like the Colosseum was for the Roman people. Ironic coincidence with that analogy was that Christians were persecuted in the Colosseum. So you have people who are being controlled by religion controlling the masses who aren't. Found that funny in a very morbid sac religious type of way lol.

I, personally, don't think so because it's not forced upon society. It's a choice. I know some people will say that their parents forced them to go to church. That may be true but nobody is truly forced to accept Christ even though that did happen in history and is a scar on the face of Christianity. I believe, deep down in a person's soul is where the choice comes from. Whether it be by fear of death or torture...a person may say one thing to avoid that but the deep belief is another which is why it still is a choice.

That's the end of the serious discussion. Here's my not so serious retort.

I think stoplights control the masses. You cannot drive through one without possibly getting a ticket or causing someone to honk their horn! It's an outrage! I mean if I could understand if there are rules in place for my own safety but whatever, I can look both ways. I don't need a light to tell me when to go...I mean look at these things...

Mod Edit: Image Hotlinking – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15/5/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
i dont think it was created to control the masses, but eventually it was used that way.

as for forcing it, remember the inquisition? at some the church had alterior motives. but i susppect it was after the 1st century.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanik

I think stoplights control the masses. You cannot drive through one without possibly getting a ticket or causing someone to honk their horn! It's an outrage! I mean if I could understand if there are rules in place for my own safety but whatever, I can look both ways. I don't need a light to tell me when to go...I mean look at these things...

Nope, but the masses need little green men to know when it's safe to cross the road.

Okay, i'll be serious for a second; They're in place as a measure to ensure that people can't speed, and judging by how you said that people were honking at you all the time, i imagine that's exactly what they'd do if it weren't for the lights.

Of course, in certain northern European states they don't have traffic restrictions - the people just seem to be capable of not causing an accident, if that morning t.v programme is to be believed.

I think it says a lot about the human condition - that we feel as if we need to be restricted in order to stop us from causing accidents, it really does show a total lack of faith in our ability to take care of one another.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Behold! My massive mind-controlling powers, booga booga booga! Look into my eyes @_@ . I order you to love your neighbor as your self, give with charity and compassion, and thank God for being alive.

If there was a way to control the masses, don't you think the government would hold the patent? Being that they have difficulty controlling themselves (scandals individually, divided congress as a whole), I have my doubts.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
lol @ saint. and tyrant, i really don't run stop lights. I value my life and my vehicle. It was an allegory to Christianity.

I think it says a lot about the human condition - that we feel as if we need to be restricted in order to stop us from causing accidents, it really does show a total lack of faith in our ability to take care of one another.

I think Christianity is the traffic light for the human condition. We don't have to heed it's warning or suggestions, but its a good idea we do...

[edit on 15-5-2008 by Mekanik]

new topics

top topics

join