It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swiss 'Fusion Man' Flies Over the Alps With Jet-Propelled Wings: MUST SEE PHOTOS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Swiss 'Fusion Man' Flies Over the Alps With Jet-Propelled Wings: MUST SEE PHOTOS

www.foxnews.com

Years ago, aviation enthusiast and inventor Yves Rossy dreamed of soaring through the sky like a bird.

The inaugural flight lasted six minutes in Bex, Switzerland, and included an emergency parachute programmed to automatically open if he were to black out, NBC11 reported at the time.

Passing from free fall to a gentle glide, Rossy then triggered four jet turbines and accelerated to 186 miles an hour as a crowd on the mountaintop below gasped — then cheered.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   

EVERYONE! YOU MUST SEE THIS YOUTUBE VIDEO! AMAZING!
YouTube Video

WOW! I dont have the words.
I cant wait till I get to try one of these out!
I just saw the movie 'Iron Man' and it seems quite similar.

[edit on (5/15/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Now thats kool beans. Considering the human body ain't exactly aerodynamic, this is phenomenal. I want one with a real good parachute. I see that it lands that way so its kinda like the ones that they are putting on general aviation aircraft now in case of emergency. Yup..this is going to be big. I think we'll see lots of them in the near future!

Zindo

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
that has to be one of the coolest things i have ever seen

now i want to try it.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
No doubt that's pretty damn cool. I'll put that on my list of things to do before I die.

I looked at most of the videos, but this one made me smile the biggest, even though it looks like a slightly older model.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I wonder if the birdman was aware that when he posed in image 3 that he was posing for what appears to be a guy in a retro looking dress and Doc Martin boots.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
That is incredibly impressive. The only limitation would be a significantly powerful energy source for sustained flight.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Great clip, I had not seen that one yet.

For pure adrenaline thrill, I still think the wingsuit has massively more "thrill potential" than a rigid wing.

Watch these clips and you'll see what I'm talking about...

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I just wonder who or which country will approach him first? This would be easy to drop a man in a hot zone and him get out quickly without trying to land a coptor.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Well he's a Captain for Swiss Air which means he's probably making over 200k a year, so I doubt anyone is going to persuade him change his profession. Maybe he & his investors will sell it, but with a 5-10 minute fuel supply it's probably more a recreational toy. Only James Bond would use such a device to escape some mountain top.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
I just wonder who or which country will approach him first? This would be easy to drop a man in a hot zone and him get out quickly without trying to land a coptor.

I agree. Imagine the logisitcal possiblites. With upgrades and new models, this could turn into a whole new kind of weapons platform.

I seem to remember some WW2 propaganda or cartoons which showed the Nazis with winged flying soldiers that looked just like this guy. Anybody know what im talking about?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
You may be thinking of the movie "Rocket man ". That took place during WW2, about a rocket back pack built for Nazi storm troopers. Cool flick.
I think Disney put it out!
Zindo

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AllSeeingI

I dont know about any winged cartoon Nazis, but it does look alot like a Cobra CLAW from the GI Joe cartoon and comics. Of course minus the guns and rockets.

in action here

Seriously this guy needs a contract.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Ah - now we're getting into the superhero realm. I see now why they call him FUSION MAN

Now he just needs a theme song and a purpose other than a $200k toy for the elite playboys.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
holy #... when will this be available for public? year 2100?

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Truly amazing.

The guy just looks so exhilarated and I can imagine why. Damn it, I can't stop smiling.

Brilliant.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Ok yup I'm new, now that we have that out of the way..... I saw that on the news this morning and thought " how effing cool!! I want one!!! No I need one!"

Go figure, I'm deathly afraid of hights.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Incredible. A modern day Icarus. It's good to see that this kind of innovative daredevilry still exists in the world. Truly inspiring.
I want to have a turn, please.

I wonder how visible to radar that would be? Probably pretty stealth.

[edit on 15-5-2008 by TheComte]

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So, I guess that the fuel is in the wing apparatus? Anyway it’s really neat, but just a step up from the batman suits that skydivers have used for some time IMO. Now show me a self contained wing that launches itself, even if it needs a parachute to land, and I’ll be impressed. I don’t mean to downplay this too much, it’s certainly a step in the right direction, and very fun to watch.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Wow think of all the potential future organ donors there will be :shk:

<<   2 >>

join