It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN alert: One-fourth of world's wheat at risk from new fungus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   

UN alert: One-fourth of world's wheat at risk from new fungus

www.worldtribune.com

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) warned in March that Iran had detected a new highly pathogenic strain of wheat stem rust called Ug99.
The fungal disease could spread to other wheat producing states in the Near East and western Asia that provide one-quarter of the world’s wheat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I do find it odd that this is coming out of Iran (we wouldn't possibly spray their crops in an attempt to hurt their country would we? Nah, that's just crazy talk). That aside, this is just more gloomy news regarding the world food crisis.

So now Rice, Corn and Wheat will all be priced so high that the poor will not be able to afford them. This year just keeps getting better and better

www.worldtribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Could be triggered by a tainted enviroment.

I mean in the area during the 80's Iran-Iraq war vast amounts of gas was used. The organic chemicals used for fabrication of such are (I think) fungus related. Please correcvt me should I be wrong on that.

BTW, who knows what they are using today in neibouring Iraq?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by khunmoon

Could be. Did they have anything similar to this during the Iran Iraq war? The more I think about it, the more I am leaning toward the US spraying. It is similar to what we do / have done in South America.

top topics

join