It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burma death toll 'could reach 1.5 million'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Burma death toll 'could reach 1.5 million'

www.independent.co.uk

Oxfam warned yesterday that 1.5 million people could die needlessly in Burma as the first outbreaks of disease were reported in the wake of Cyclone Nargis, and many of the worst-hit areas went an eighth day without aid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
This is a massive catastrophe and it has been over a week since it began. Over one million people need food, water, medicine, and shelter.

I dont understand how the world can sit back and let over one million people die from genocidal neglect. A terrible precedent will be set if the world fails.

www.independent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This and other events like it really break my heart. We have the capacity (we meaning humanity as a whole) to ameliorate suffering there and elsewhere by a profound margin, yet for numerous reasons - internal political considerations, international obligations, economic concerns, strategic interests, etc. - we allow events like this, Darfur, and other tragedies to unfold.

I know that many will argue that each individual nation should "get its own house in order" before tending to the needs of others, however, given the extent to which nations routinely intercede for less than humane reasons (in my opinion,) I feel that refraining from action in cases such as this is sad and tragic indeed.

join