It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

B-natural - note of the devil?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I'm reading a book entitled "Healing Beyond the Body - Medicine and the Infinite Reach of the Mind" by Larry Dossey, M.D. and on page 123 it says:

"Music has strange powers. Specific musical passages, for example, are known by medical scientists to evoke epileptic seizures--it's called musicogenic epilepsy, reports Macdonald Critchley in Music and the Brain. Certain notes have been associated in the past with evil--most notably B-natural, which was known as 'the note of the devil.'"

He doesn't cite the source of this information, however, and a google search turned up nothing relevant. Has anyone else heard about certain notes being considered evil, or know where I could possibly find more information about it? Personally, I never cared much for the sound of B natural, but I wouldn't call it evil.

By the way, the reason I ask is pure curiosity. I have no intention of playing a note repetitively to see what kind of evil it summons...
I have a feeling it would only summon angry neighbors anyway.

posted on May, 10 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
the TRI-TONE
any note followed by a note 6 semitones up.
also know as flat 5
play an F and then a B, and thats a tri-tone
(just using f and b as an example)

there was a time when the church would label you a heretic
if you were seen playing these two notes together.

oops almost forgot
not only was it considered evil, but when you hear the 2 notes together,
you would agree that they are the most evil sounding combination of 2 notes ever

[edit on 10-5-2008 by Maya432]

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Hey, thanks for the info

I suppose it's not all that surprising, the church wasn't very tolerant back then.
Btw, here's a Virtual Keyboard, if anyone wants to check out how it sounds for themselves.

It is a bit evil sounding..

join