It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Low carbon foot print in-vitro meat ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Please could anybody enlighten us further about a university in Norway working with Norway's petrochemical industry who are experimenting with growing meat in petri dishes for human consumption ?

The idea is that you go to the supermarket and buy a slab of pork or beef that has never been near a farm or part of a live animal.

This in-vitro meat has a low carbon footprint and is being promoted as a Green way to feed the world. It would be about a fifth the cost to produce as farm raised meat.

This process starts by taking uterine stem cells, growing them in a broth of bacteria first raised on petro-chemical byproducts. The cells are sent chemical signals to develop as meat. The same stem cells can be re-used 30 or so times to produce meat.

I have no links to this stuff and wondered if people had any further information ?

Equally interested in people's reactions to eating such meat ?

No doubt though it revolts us the next generation will start to eat it for Green reasons and within 2-3 generations farm raised meat will be a luxury item for the very rich.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Like I said in the last thread: If it tastes as good or better, and is as cheap or cheaper, I'll buy it.

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Sorry was there another thread about meat from a petrie dish ?

I have some doubts in my mind whether meat grown from Stem cells could cause cancers in humans ?

posted on May, 11 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
Sorry was there another thread about meat from a petrie dish ?

I have some doubts in my mind whether meat grown from Stem cells could cause cancers in humans ?

All living animals are made of meat grown from stem cells. We eat them just fine. And we eat all the adult stem cells in their body too. The cells are all dead, anyway, barring experiments in beef, pork, and chicken sushi.

top topics

join