It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA about to announce something Big?

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes
I'm sorry, but some believers are just as bad as some staunch debunkers -- both will in no way listen to reason.

Couldn't agree more if I tried...

Also - nicely done solving this mystery by page 3

I think this discovery is pretty exciting - the only thing I'm confused about is they say this supernova occurred only 140 years ago but it's located near the center of the galaxy? That doesn't add up.

Either it's near the center of the Milky Way and the light reaching us now is only 140 years removed from the light that showed the initial blast, or this supernova is only 140 light years away and is in the line of sight of the center of the galaxy. I'm guessing it's the former because if the Supernova is only 140 light years away - isn't that ridiculously close?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CreeWolf

I don't know about anyone else in this forum, but I'm going to quit paying attention to what NASA has to say because all they do is disappoint.

I hope that you and anyone else on this forum "disappointed" by this news please please please make that a promise!

[edit on 14-5-2008 by mc_squared]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I'm sad about this so called 'big announcement'! oooo A supernova that occurred 140+ years ago. I realize that it may further our understanding and stuff, but why couldn't they have come out with the news last week when they announced the press conference, instead of making all this fuss...over nothing really

EDIT:

Originally posted by CreeWolf

I don't know about anyone else in this forum, but I'm going to quit paying attention to what NASA has to say because all they do is disappoint.

Crap...missed this. I totally agree. They make a big deal, and what do they say? 'Oh yes, we found a rock on the moon that dates back billions of years ago, and its made of cheese.' haha I know im kinda over doing it, but really. If your gunna wait a week to announce something, make it a HUGE something!

[edit on 14-5-2008 by unknownfrost]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

I'm not sure if you are trying to edit out my sarcastic tone in my post or what?

[edit on 14-5-2008 by CreeWolf]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by unknownfrost

This wasn't, and won't be the last time of an announcement like this. It's pretty obvious the people who were giving it hype were everyone else guessing what it could be about, not NASA. And of course the conspiracy theorists are still over this like a bad rash. Below is a screen cap from someone on YouTube who recently made some comments on a video about NASA's possible announcement of Nibiru! Too funny!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by unknownfrost
why couldn't they have come out with the news last week when they announced the press conference, instead of making all this fuss...over nothing really

Who made all the fuss? NASA or you guys?

All they did was announce a press conference. It happens all the time. Allows people time to get together and prepare questions and such. This wasn't some huge secret either - look at behindthescenes' post - he called NASA last week to find out exactly what the announcement was.

There's a lot of people for whom this news is more than nothing - but when a scientist discovers something interesting in a laboratory - he doesn't go running out into the streets screaming about it. He usually writes a paper, has it published and "announces" his results will be revealed upon publication.

It's so ridiculous how many people are whining on here how disappointing this news is when you have no one but yourselves to blame for making it into something it never was in the first place.

Creewolf - if it was sarcasm then I apologize: but I still hope everyone else on here makes that a promise!

[edit on 14-5-2008 by mc_squared]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
WASHINGTON -- NASA has scheduled a media teleconference Wednesday, May 14, at 1 p.m. EDT, to announce the discovery of an object in our Galaxy astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years. This finding was made by combining data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory with ground-based observations.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The reason everyone got excited about this is right there in the post. "have been hunting for more then 50 years."

Now here is the problem. One, yes we have seen supernovas, yes this is the youngest we have ever seen, but what is the deal here. They put it in their release about today that its something that should be a big deal if they throw in the 50 year search comment. So then the thinking starts of what is it that could be at the top of the list of a 50 year search. Supernova? Big deal really. Its not going to lead to any answers to some of the questions we have in the next 3 months, or 6, or a year. They are just going to watch the slow moving fireworks in the sky with a long drawn out "ohhh,, ahhhh"
They could have just said, "NASA has made a new discovery in the area of Supernovas. A discovery astronomers have been searching for 50 years."

Lets face it. They put the hype spin on this and of course the natural order is for anyone that has an interest in life on other planets to get excited about and build to that by wondering if we have at last found something of such.
Saying that anyone is one thing or another for even thinking that NASA would be saying something close to what some are waiting for with extreme anticipation is a bit elitist.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimmy_of_wprt

But it seems to me that the people who are upset about it just being a supernova are the ones who expected it to be something else entirely: Planet X/Nibiru, alien life, etc. Most of the other places I visited before this announcement changed the title and added words like "huge" or "big" discovery, like the title of this thread! But having said that this is big news to scientists and astronomers but nothing mind blowing to the rest of us. The only ones throwing their toys out of the pram in a tissy fit are the ones who expected alot more, like going to see a movie that's supposed to be mind blowing only to leave after it has finished with a bad taste in your mouth!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   

First off - when NASA announces press conferences I'm sure it's meant for journalists and scientists and they're not too concerned with what the conspiracy forum world will make of it.

The fact that they've been searching for it for 50 years may be hyping it a bit yeah - but so what - it's a true statement - I think this is the first Supernova they've ever observed in our own Galaxy. Beyond that it was a completely ambiguous statement that everyone else jumped to their own conclusions about when there was plenty of so-called mundane explanations.

The fact it was discovered by Chandra gave enough clues it had nothing to do with life on other planets - but so many people ignored that because they read Big Announcement (on this page, not NASA's), ignored the ?, and immediately associated it with whatever they wanted it to be.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
what if we're just being "warmed up" to the idea that OUR sun is about to go supernova and thats what global warming is from.

and uh oh.. we need to be evacuated to get us off the planet.

luckily, the vatican gave permish for there to be alieins in reality so they poofed into existence and help us with the "move"

ITS A COOOOOK BOOOOOOK!!

-

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Here's a report on the supernova remnants that were recently found.

Editor's preface: Astronomers have long thought that supernovas explode two or three times a century here in the Milky Way. They arrive at that figure by watching other galaxies similar to our own, and counting the stars as they explode. But this leads to a mystery: The last time anyone actually saw a supernova explode in the Milky Way was the year 1680, almost 330 years ago. So where are the Milky Way's missing supernovas?

At long last, one of them has been found. Astronomers using NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory (an x-ray telescope in space) and the NRAO's Very Large Array (a radio telescope in New Mexico) recently located the remains of a young supernova hiding in a dense field of gas and dust near the center of our galaxy. Read today's story to learn how a decades-long "galactic hunt" landed its prey.

science.nasa.gov...

Although this news won't satisfy those who were expecting little green men, it is certainly an important finding that will help to explain the workings of the universe.

Read the whole article. It's interesting.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It's a very big deal if you're an astrophysicist - but not if your an alien hunting member of an internet forum. But then, NASA never issued their press conference notice to us

btw the answer was always in the statement - why could NASA have been searching for for 50 years than can only be detected with the use of an x-ray observatory? Certainly not Nibiru which was only invented by Sitchin in the 1970s ....

The whole story says a lot about a certain group of people who frequent certain forums!

Originally posted by prevenge

what if we're just being "warmed up" to the idea that OUR sun is about to go supernova and thats what global warming is from.

Unlikely. The mutant star goat will eat the sun long before that ever happens.

The B Ark is boarding now .....

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectStorm

But it seems to me that the people who are upset about it just being a supernova are the ones who expected it to be something else entirely: Planet X/Nibiru, alien life, etc. Most of the other places I visited before this announcement changed the title and added words like "huge" or "big" discovery, like the title of this thread! But having said that this is big news to scientists and astronomers but nothing mind blowing to the rest of us. The only ones throwing their toys out of the pram in a tissy fit are the ones who expected alot more, like going to see a movie that's supposed to be mind blowing only to leave after it has finished with a bad taste in your mouth!

Oh I agree with you fully on the whole X/Nibiru thing. Thats just,, yeah..
All I am saying is there is a hype in the NASA statement for sure. I honestly think that because there was 43 people on the call from media even they them self were expecting something more then what they said. That is why only a few asked questions about it that had any real interest in it. Many were on the call and many dropped off once they started talking about it all.
This just says to me that many not only on this board but also in the media were disappointed in the information provided today.
But now the Nibiru people thing. Well, chalk that one up for face value I suppose.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Correct.

Who are we to say whether or not this is infact going to be a series of announcements, in order to ease us into the true disclosure?

Or, of course - this could just be nothing more than a supernova.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This was another type of conditioning that NASA as well as other agencies are placing on us. Just the other day Britain released UFO files and the Vatican stated that it was ok for Catholics to believe in aliens just before this BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. I know the speculation has been shot down for roughly the last week as some worthless discovery and here we are. This is about the biggest wast of time and money as the phoenix mission. EEWWW FROZEN WATER IS THERE!!! There is frozen water there. OH BOY! PRAISE ALLAH!!!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
so is this what we have been waiting for them to announce? Chandra Uncovers Youngest Supernova in Our Galaxy? if so ....lame....? when and how can we find this annnouncement?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

COMING UP: 2 p.m. EDT, Thursday, May 15
NASA will host a media teleconference on Thursday to provide an overview of progress made in the last few months and work ahead for NASA's Constellation Program. Constellation will build the spacecraft to carry astronauts to the International Space Station and return humans to the moon by 2020.

www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 14-5-2008 by wedama]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is like talking to someone you've never seen for years and then going out to meet them for the first time face to face. You never discussed how you each look. You already have it in your mind what this person looks like and how their expression are gonna look like and on and on. But when you finally meet them you are totally surprised and way off base about what you thought. You may even be very disappointed.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

it took them 50 years to find it because supernovas happen every fifty years. we where all ripped off, they new what was going to happen and they said they where "hunting it" for fifty years..B.S

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30 >>

join