It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atomic Tragedy {WARNING: Graphic Photos}

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Atomic Tragedy [WARNING: Graphic Photos]

faculty.ucmerced.edu

The Robert L. Capp collection at the Hoover Institution Archives contains ten never-before-published photographs illustrating the immediate aftermath of the Hiroshima Bombing.

(visit the link for the full news article)

The Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima

[edit on 5/7/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
With all the talk about nuclear issues lately, I think photos like
these deserve everyone's attention. They sure got mine!

Horrific, shocking, and saddening, to say the least... Do WE,
as evolving human beings really need to keep options like
global-thermal-nuclear war on the 'table'?

We've all seen images from the Hiroshima bombing, but these
are just released! I wonder if our leaders have seen them?
Do they think it's sane, to consider the use of nuclear weapons, in the future?

faculty.ucmerced.edu

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Wow, Thankyou SO Much for these photos.
Ive got quite a collection of photos and statements from that day, dont know why, but it fascinates me like no other.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

The thread above is a trip I took through Normandy, Berlin, Auschwitz, Hiroshima, Nagasaki.....

Some photos from todays time, matched against yours gives you some perspective on how far its come...

anyways, thanks again, these photos will be saved and stored!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
If it ends a war and keeps the United States and her people safe(r), which includes my family and myself, then yeah, it's worth it. Typical arrogant American attitude, but that's just the way I feel. I believe this country owes no appologies to Japan for dropping those two bombs nor should we hesitate to utilize the nuclear option in the future if the security and continuance of the nation depend on it.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

You're welcome, my friend... and THANK YOU for such an awesome link!

Wow, what a fascinating ride you took me on for the last 15 mins or so...
Nice job, posting your excellent quality photos in your thread- looks like
you maxed out the size just right!

Huge Star, Agit8d- like the one on that Sherman Tank!

I'm very impressed. I think you should be a photo-journalist!

Bummer, I couldn't view any photos past Du Hoc, for some reason...but
anyway, all I can do, is re-iterate the replies you got from everyone in
that thread!

(Hands Clapping)

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

My family, too, burdman - Star!

No No, not arrogant at all, I feel similarly; as a last, last, resort, tho!

Absolutely screamin' right- no apologies; Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor
was devastating, they provoked us. Glad to feel your American Patriotism
radiating all the way to me, here in Wisconsin. Good goin'- back at ya!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

In the sense that it was either us or them. Well, yeah I would rather be the one to live. However, It's nothing to boast about or be proud of - what is Is. Sometimes it's kill or be killed, doesn't matter who's wrong or who's right - both see themselves and their future as right - depends on your perspective.

I have watched the movies that show everything from the bomb being loaded, dropped and the remnants from the perspective of the Japanese on the ground.

Maybe we should drop some flyer's with your pictures on IRAN, North Korea and anywhere else they thinking about using them.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
If the USA got nuked, then it would be a fair deal i say... as long as the Uk doesn't get hit. I mean in the universal balance of things, surely America is somewhat deserving of an attack... I mean how many nations has America terrorised in its ongoing war of terror.... (sorry war 'on' terror!)

I mean sure, not all yanks are bad people but if a nuclear bomb would take out some of those nasty 'terrorists' and trigger happy idiots, then surely it'd be worth it?

The world would be a slightly more peaceful place, and my family can sleep well on a night with the understanding that it 'was worth it' because America was on the verge of taking us into armageddon.

Sure there'd be a few thousand American deaths, but then again, i'm pretty sure amongst those innocents killed, there'd be a lot of dead bad guys too....

Oh and if this post offends you, then you've got to understand that I'm absolutely sick of posts that are like mine, but ones that replace the word America with Iraq.

'Hell, if it gets some of those terrorists, then i don't care if you turn that darn desert into glass'.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I hear ya mr-lizard.

However, even though we talk tough when we're in the brainwashed mode (that's sheeple with a tude mode), the reality of it is it ain't really us dong the terrorizing its the machine run by the Bankers some who reside in your land - so in reality they should be bombed to the poor house so they can't create any more wars as well.

We too are nothing, but pawns - we just fall into the illusion of running the show and that puts a target on our backs - instead of where it belongs..

[edit on 7-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

As an American, I suppose I might be expected to 'smack ya' with words;
But that is not the case. I actually give you a Star, for your courage to say
what you said, ok?

I appreciate a person's input, and respect their point of view. But I was
gasping a little, when reading the first part of your post.

Decent job, illustrating the other side of the coin, as it were, my good chap

When someone like myself is abruptly reminded that the street runs two-
ways, and ANYONE could be a victim, in the future, of nuclear devastation.

Now go jump in the channel!
just kidding!

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Absolutely and I'm glad you got my point...

Sadly the fate of thousands and thousands are decided upon the weight of a bank account.

It's a sick world.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER

With all the talk about nuclear issues lately, I think photos like
these deserve everyone's attention. They sure got mine!

Horrific, shocking, and saddening, to say the least... Do WE,
as evolving human beings really need to keep options like
global-thermal-nuclear war on the 'table'?

We've all seen images from the Hiroshima bombing, but these
are just released! I wonder if our leaders have seen them?
Do they think it's sane, to consider the use of nuclear weapons, in the future?

faculty.ucmerced.edu

They like to kill humans. When the Nazis were done exterminating people in Germany & Poland, they just moved to the U.S. The CIA hired them. IBM is a Nazi-owned company (they made the computers, which the SS Soldiers used to count & divide their victims).

Those same sort of people are still trying to start more wars.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I have ZERO respect for ANY goverment who uses nuclear weapons on civillians, NO MATTER what the situation.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
If it ends a war and keeps the United States and her people safe(r), which includes my family and myself, then yeah, it's worth it. Typical arrogant American attitude, but that's just the way I feel. I believe this country owes no appologies to Japan for dropping those two bombs nor should we hesitate to utilize the nuclear option in the future if the security and continuance of the nation depend on it.

Totally agreed and I am one of the believers that dropping the bomb saved more lives by ending the war because I dont care what ANYONE says they were not ready to surrender until both were dropped.

With that being said we are talking about Nuking nations that have never attacked us and for that matter never invaded its neighbors (Iran) and this is what scares me. I dont want to get in the habit of nuking people because they talk some trash. Im just glad Bush wasnt the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis otherwise none of us would probably be here today.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I think I remember seeing a TV special about these bombings. The Nagasaki bomb was sheilded by the rolling hills because the bomb missed it's target, therefore the death toll was nowhere near as high as expected even though it was more powerful than the Hiroshima bomb. The Nagasaki bomb, called "Fat Man", actually landed in an industrial area of the city which was not as populated as the intended target area.

The images are shocking. People's shadow's are burnt into concrete due to the extreme thermal energy shortly before they were literally incinerated where they stood.

Some of the stories from the survivors are even more shocking. Initially, the blast wave forces energy and heat outward from ground-zero. Shortly after the initial blast wave, the plume of superheated material sucks in all the surrounding dust and dirt kicked up by the blast wave. What results is all of this material being sucked into the radioactive plume as the superheated gases rise into the atmosphere. Fallout is what results.

The heaviest fallout particles fall directly beneath the superheated plume, but lighter particles can travel for thousands of miles due to high winds in the upper atmosphere. One of the survivors was a lady which was on a TV program about the Hiroshima explosion. She described the fallout falling as black rain. She described how some people, who thought it was safe to go out right after the blast, actually had their faces and skin melted off by the intense radioactive fallout. Shocking.

-ChriS

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
With that being said we are talking about Nuking nations that have never attacked us and for that matter never invaded its neighbors (Iran) and this is what scares me. I dont want to get in the habit of nuking people because they talk some trash. Im just glad Bush wasnt the president during the Cuban Missile Crisis otherwise none of us would probably be here today.

I'm not sold on that, actually. (The Cuba point, not the preemptive nuke, which I agree with you on.) I think if Bush was actually going to use the nuclear option, he'd have done so immediately following 9/11 on either Afghanistan, Iraq, or both. The fact that no nukes were launched that morning showed a pretty incredible level of restraint. I actually am not so sure that Reagan would have shown the same level of restraint if such an attack had happened during his presidency and Cuba (or Russia) had any involvement.

I do fully believe that regardless who the president of the US is at the time, if it ever appears that total defeat of our nation is imminent our government will in essence "pull" the world. When I say defeat, I'm talking major US cities in ruins, foreign invaders on US soil and making their way to the underground bunkers where the primary governing bodies are secured. If that scenario ever unfolds itself, I'd fully expect to see us launch everything we have basically ending life on the planet as a whole. In other words, I believe the old specter of mutually assured destruction does still exist, it just isn't harped on and ingrained into our brains like it was during the Cold War. Of course in all likelihood we'd reach the point of global nuclear holocaust before colapse of the nation was imminent simply because nukes are about the only way we'd ever see major US cities destroyed and laying in ruins, and we'd almost certainly retalliate immediately if that ever happened.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I think America should of demonstarted the weapon to the Japanese firstly.

Perhaps on some small island, and tell the japanese that unless they surrender, multiple's of these weapons would wipe out Japan in a week.

Im certain the Japanese would of looked at the devestated island, and understood this weapon was far bigger than anything in existance, and could never be matched.

while dropping it on Hiroshima did ensure a quick end to the war, I feel it was the worst of many choices that could of been taken, in regards to using this weapon.

Its 91 days until Im back in Hiroshima, standing on the T bridge staring at the A-Dome...
and again I cant thankyou enough for these pictures!

Im hoping there's some survivors there I can talk too, no doubt the 6th aug aniversary will be pretty populated.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

I have no doubt that there was a high level of muscle flexing, kid with a new toy, can you top this attitude by our government when they dropped those bombs. There was also a cahnce for our scientists and even the world to see exactly what one of those things would do in a real world situation with live people and buildings that weren't just kit homes setup on a missle test range in New Mexico. Again though, I'd be a liar if I said that knowledge or belief bothered me. It was an era in which war wasn't the kinder-gentler more psychological nonsense it's become today. For example, we've got people who are talking about 4,000 US troop deaths as if it was the epitome of devastation and signalling the end of our millitary might. In WWII at certain times 4,000 American soldiers lost was considered a successful battle not to mention comparing such a figure to the overall losses for the entire war. I'm in no way trying to discount the losses we've had in the Gulf, but I am using the numbers to compare the dramatic shift in the attitude of what constitutes acceptable force and what constitutes acceptable losses today vs 65 years ago.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

The ever cynical side of me tends to think the military wanted to drop those two bombs, whatever the cost in life may have been. They and the scientists needed a live trial to study the effects, not only the blast but the aftermath on a population centre.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Good post, I read all the articles and looked at all the pictures... It is amazing that one bomb can do that much damage... Just to think we have ones that make the "fat boy" look like a whimp now... Kinda scary, no way to really get away from it either... Anyway, good post, thanks for sharing!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join