It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Elevator Test Run

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I found this video of a test elevator to space:

www.liveleak.com...

"Although the day started with difficulties, it ended with a successful 1000 foot space elevator test climb to a tethered 10-foot diameter balloon - LiftPort's first really significant climb. This was supposed to be a 1 mile climb test, but the FAA-required aviation orange paint - applied at 50 foot intervals to the ribbon - contained acetone, which weakened the ribbon. The first two attempts of the day resulted in ribbon breaks due to this acetone-induced degradation.

Source: Liveleak.com

Hopefully this can be efficiently used to save some $

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The Space Elevator has always seemed to me the best solution to establishing a permanent connection to space, as the greatest challenge to space exploration at this time is the cost involved in sending things through our atmosphere. I'm amazed at how little consideration this idea has received from the mainstream media, and even mainstream science.

However, I'm not so sure about the Elevator as our best resource for this purpose, the more I think about it, the more difficulties seems to emerge, there are so many variables that could destroy the tether:

It has to survive the spin of the earth, which is in and of itself quite a setback. Then it has to survive space debris, such as small meteorites etc., and then it has to survive all the human debris floating about in low earth orbit. Never mind the complications in building the thing in the first place.

I think some kind of anti-grav device may be our best bet... although that doesn't exist yet. Still, why is the mainstream, indeed why is NASA not trying to curb its launch costs by researching alternative means of sending things up there!?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Or how about someone gets it into their heads to make a real feat of modern engineering and make a permanent structure from earth's gravitational field to outside of the field?

Oh wait, that would probably bankrupt America, n/m.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
...so basically a space elevator?

Right?

posted on May, 21 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
There are some very real concerns with having a space elevator, no doubt. I'm not sure anyone outside of paid astronauts/space workers would want to ride it. I think most people look at it like some sort of amusement park bungee ride into the sky, not knowing the physics that go into it. Additionally, there are the outside chances, but real risks, that orbiting debris or material entering the atmosphere would interrupt the function of the lifting cars or the ribbon.

This appears to be too much of a technological feat and too much expenditure to make this cost effective across the lifespan of the project. Sure, the actual payloads are cheap, but the cost and effort involved in preparing and maintaining such a service are ungodly.

All this being said, the concept is so attractive and tempting, just like the fabrication of wax wings, that people are going to be compelled to try when there is a need. The science seems solid (although, I've been waiting for an all electric car with a battery that will take me 600 miles on a single charge...I know it exists, but haven't seen THAT yet...) and as long as I'm not going up the ribbon into space, I'm happy to watch others.

Personally, I'm waiting for full government disclosure which will include anti-gravity. I want my SUV to take me straight up to the moon so I can enjoy my weekend house on the Sea of Tranquility. Four cup-holders with vacuum covers to handle those messy zero-G spills and a 500 hp rare-earth magnet drive to maintain anti-gravitational propulsion for the family. By Ford.

new topics

top topics

join