It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A very unhappy birthday to spam, age 30

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

A very unhappy birthday to spam, age 30

www.sfgate.com

Thirty years ago today, the first unsolicited commercial e-mail went out over the research network that was the Internet's predecessor - and the modern aggravation of spam was born.

That e-mail, sent to advertise a new machine from the now-defunct computer manufacturer Digital Equipment Corp. (DEC), was swiftly and forcefully condemned by the tiny community of engineers developing the Arpanet, or Advanced Research Projects Agency network, named after the Defense Department office that funded the project.

"It was rather an insult to one's sensibilities to have an obvious commercial message sent out over a research network," said computer scientist Peter Neumann of SRI in Menlo Park, who was one of the 393 recipients of that primordial spam.

But the Arpanet was small and tightly controlled by defense and think-tank scientists like Neumann, and this early e-mail i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This history of spam is interesting, though it's not quite the nuisance it used to be. I get very little now that I have email which allows you to report and block it. Sometimes someone who gets blocked sends me an angry email, but not too often.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I did it again. Somebody posted this story an hour before I did (same info. different source). Sorry!
Mods feel free to close this thread.

new topics

join