It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Builds Secret Nuclear Submarine Base

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

China Builds Secret Nuclear Submarine Base

www.foxnews.com

China has secretly built an underground nuclear submarine base in the South China Sea, posing a new threat to powers in the region, the Daily Telegraph has reported.

Satellite photos of the base obtained by FOX News show a large harbor and massive tunnels that defense experts say could shelter as many as 20 nuclear subs, according to the Telegraph.

The base, centrally located along a major sea route and just a few hundred miles from neighbors, may pose a threat to the U.S
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-5-2008 by anti us gov]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-5-2008 by anti us gov]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I love the tone of these reports.
China is building a base on it's own territory next to it's own shipping lanes - oooh scary

When they spend more on weapons than the rest of the world put together, build a dozen supercarriers, or start invading countries that dont get with the program, then I'll worry, because that's the kind of thing you'd expect from a country attempting to rule the planet...

...Oh, wait...

Anyway, good find, good to see Faux News is still keeping the propaganda thick and obvious.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Thats gonna scare us Indians!! When are we gonna get the two Akulas?? And also the ATV?? Heck 20 nuke subs, thats a lot!

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
what ... and we don't build any either? It's not that secret if the world knows about it..
oh . and now it's secret because China didn't tell the whole world they did this in their own waters ?? !!!! WT* ??

[edit on 04/02/2008 by Komodo]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
start invading countries that dont get with the program,

They have invaded countries.

The Chinese Communist government led by Mao Zedong which came to power in October lost little time in asserting its presence in Tibet. In 1950, the People's Liberation Army entered the Tibetan area of Chamdo, defeating sporadic resistance from the Tibetan army. In 1951
wiki

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
We built China's economy like we did Japan before WWII. If you can't see how this build-up is going to cause some very tense future situations betwee the US and China, then you are a fool. It will be more tense than the Russian Cold War ever was, because China is much more stubborn than Russia.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by anti us gov

ST & FL'd.

Good article, anti.

You know, those experts said: "could harbor nuclear subs". . . could? They
said the water is so deep in that area, aerial photos wouldn't reveal for
sure. But it's just a matter of time, till they either SEE one, or one of our
subs comes into contact with one, I guess.

Makes me think of 'The Hunt For Red October', man, those close encounters
with other country's submarines must be scarry! "Radar contact, off the
starboard bow, skipper!" (alarms sounding)!

I Also thought of the Beatle's lyrics: 'Yellow Submarine'!

[edit on 5/3/2008 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Firstly, if there are news about this secret base on the internet, it is not so secret anymore, huh? Secondly, if Fox News somehow obtains statellite photos of a secret Chinese nuclear submarine base - which should be the biggest secret in China and the biggest secret in U.S. intelligence agencies - I do somehow doubt it. In any case, even if it is true or not, it server their purpose perfectly; throw dogs a bone, and let them fight for it and chew it. Works everytime.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
This is only some Chinese James Bond fantasy. It serves no real purpose. The soviets also had something like this. Didnt give them any special advantage, only expedited their demise.

Even North Korea has supposedly a secret underground air base where fighters take off from some "Thunderbirds"-ish facility.

These are all just silly and I doubt it serves any credible advantage to the Chinese other than boosting their egos.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I get a big kick out of the sarcastic remarks from some of you self-hating Americans!

No one here is questioning China's right to build this base. That is not the issue. And no one here is excusing or denying the wrongdoings of our government, both in the past and the present. It doesn't matter to me one bit how we got to this point, because we are here now and there is really no short term solution to fix it.

So whether you are one of the many sarcastic, self-hating Americans who posted in this thread, or you're someone who truly understands the world we live in and the game we must take part in, you should still be able to recognize the danger that we face from China. We are on the verge of losing our position as the world's sole superpower. And contrary to the dreams of a Utopia that you believe our "evil" government has kept the world from becoming, the balance of power in the Pacific is rapidly shifting in the favor of a Communist government. A communist government that is hell-bent on seizing control of Taiwan, among other things.

So please forgive me for showing concern over China's future ability to launch nuclear missile-carrying submarines from a hidden base without our ability to detect it via satellite. Forgive me for showing concern over China's plans to build several aircraft carriers in the next few years. And please forgive me for showing concern over their relationship with, and support for, the governments of nations like Iran and North Korea. I know that many of you are willing to accept all of this because of your guilt over being an American, but I am not. The way in which we live and have lived for the past century is about to change. We cannot continue to live our lives like we have with powerful nations like China and India seeking the same, by any means necessary, for their citizens. The world just doesn't have enough resources for life as we know it to continue. Maybe you are content with giving everything up so that people in China can have their moment on top, but I'm not. Maybe I'm a selfish American, but I really don't care. I have to look out for myself and my loved ones. And I'm not willing to pay $10.00+ for a gallon of gas just because China and India have an increasing thirst for fossil fuels.

The bottom line here is that it's us or them. There is no perfect world where we can all live equally and peacefully in perfect harmony. That is the sad nature of things. But when the proverbial crap hits the fan someday, I'm sure that many of you will regret your attempts to absolve your guilt over our nation's past deeds by allowing China to build up and project its power unchecked. I just pray that it is not already too late, and that the sleeping giant that is the United States of America wakes up sooner rather than later.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i dont believe this thread a secret that the whole world knows about huh?

look at the photo in the op, if all of you wizards look a bit closer you will notice that the tunnel is not even in the water its on dry land.

if this is the case then how do they get the subs inside? or do the subs levitate.
then theres the conning tower or does this just pack away just for the convenience. do any of you people have ever seen a boomer out of the water?
seriously their like 20 meters high maybe even higher! try this for a photo
an american sub in dry dock, now imagine how big the tunnel has to be!

www.geocities.com...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
It looks like we can say goodbye to American naval dominance in the region. As an Australian, China's growth as a superpower worries me, they're already starting to exert a lot of influence over my country, heck even our Prime Minister speaks fluent mandarin.

With control of the shipping lanes in the asia pacific, and a powerful blue water navy, I can definetly see China turning into a new global bully, very much the new Imperial Japan of WW2. Yes, and I realize that the US is already a global bully.

Here's a few more links:

Chinese nuclear submarine base (www.telegraph.co.uk)

Secret Sanya - China's new nuclear naval base revealed (www.Janes.com)

China has new nuclear base for subs, say analysts (www.smh.com.au)

Chinese nuclear submarines prompt 'new cold war' warning (www.telegraph.co.uk)

EDIT:

look at the photo in the op, if all of you wizards look a bit closer you will notice that the tunnel is not even in the water its on dry land.

if this is the case then how do they get the subs inside? or do the subs levitate.

My guess is that they haven't finished building it yet, as you can see in one of the photos it's described as an excavation tunnel.

[edit on 5/5/08 by Cthulwho]

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by anti us gov

Well, I guess it's not a secret anymore! How is that the UK is always the ones revealing everyone's 'secrets' online? I mean, they seem to know everything about every country even when those countries don't know! LOL!

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
It's usually a third-party photograph from a leased Satellite. DigiGlobe came up with a picture of the Sanya base. They send it to the press and the Pentagon corraborates, saying they knew and have been monitoring.

What's there to monitor? They'll just keep letting them build-up until they can do force projection warfare and these subs will end up 400 miles outside the US coast. They don't even need to be, these warheads can go well over a thousand miles.

join