It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney: 300 Endangered Whales Is 300 Too Many(?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
According to this article, Cheney has REFUSED, for FOUR YEARS now, to issue a speed limit for boats in the North Atlantic to help prevent the extinction of the North Atlantic right whale.

Cheney: 300 Endangered Whales Is 300 Too Many

Cheney's office has been delaying attempts to issue speed limits near the habitat of the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale for FOUR YEARS. There are only about 300 right whales alive today, and ship collisions are their leading cause of death. As Henry Waxman wrote in his letter to the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, "the death of even a single whale, particularly a breeding female, may contribute to the extinction of the species."

Despite clear evidence linking higher boat speeds with increased whale mortality, Cheney's office has gone so far as to conduct their own analyses of data (using untested methods, NOAA scientists noted) to delay a ruling on the speed limits. The office contended that NOAA had "no evidence (i.e. hard data) that lowering the speeds of 'large ships' will actually make a difference." NOAA has quickly rebutted these objections, noting that they've conducted statistical analysis of ship strike records and have published peer-reviewed literature on the subject. They also conduct calf counts.

He won't even believe NOAA, so he has to and conduct his OWN analysis of the situation! Come on now, give me a break, like HIS analysis is going to be more accurate than NOAA's?

This guy is sooo full of himself I'm surprised he can even walk!

And WHY would NOAA LIE about something like this? What, do they have a pet peeve against fast ships?

What is it with Cheney?!?

It just seems like EVERYTHING he does is WRONG! :bash:

Or should I say, done for the wrong reasons?

Why Cheney's office is going to such extremes to delay this ruling is up for debate. On one hand, there are shipping companies that want to make a few extra bucks speeding through a critical habitat.

Of course! Should have known! :bnghd:

I'm sure shipping companies are "DONATING" to his favorite cause (probably himself) to keep him from imposing a lower speed limit in the shipping lane!

What's the extinction of a species compared to the glory of making a buck!

Can this man EVER do the RIGHT thing?

[edit on 4/30/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here's a little info from the North Atlantic Right Whale Consortium

The North Atlantic Right Whale Consortium

What is the problem?

Fewer than 350 North Atlantic right whales remain and the population is declining.

• Right Whale coastal habitat along the eastern U.S. and Canada is heavily industrialized and under increasing negative pressures from human activities.

Mortality from ship-strikes and fishing-gear entanglements is driving the species toward extinction.

• On average only 11 calves are born per year, this is only 1/3 of the expected birth rate and less than the present annual death rate.

What actions must be taken to effect the solutions?

1. Eliminate human-caused mortality to right whales in critical habitats and migration corridors

Reduce and eliminate mortality and injury from ship-strikes via:

• Ship rerouting around critical areas

Ship speed reduction to “whale safe” speeds

• Advanced technology to help ships avoid right whales

More North Atlantic right whales are dying each year than are being born!

I think that's cause for a little alarm there Cheney, but hey, as long as YOUR making money, why should YOU care?

And just in case you want to see NOAA's info on the right whale:
NOAA - North Atlantic Right Whales

[edit on 4/30/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
And another thing of I'm wondering about!

Why is it up to Vice President Cheney to change the shipping lane speed limits in US shipping lanes and not the D.O.T.s(Department of Transportation) Maritime Administration?

Seems like THEY would be the ones more responsible for that than the Vice President!

Tried to find out who sets the US shipping lanes speed limits but have had no luck yet.

[edit on 5/1/2008 by Keyhole]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This is one of those battles on the left... ill demonstrate:

"We need to slow ships down, thry go fast, and Whales could get hurt!"

"But if you go slow, that burns more fuel, making our planet worse, and making the tempature rise..."

"But think of the WHales"

"But think of the planet"

This has been a Battle on the left production...

Which sect of Left Wingers are going to Win... The global warming crowd, or the PETA crowd....

Either way, seen 2 leftists fight is always entertaining, just look at the election, right vs left hasnt even started yet and there has been more political poo flinging then ever, just on the battle on the left...

top topics

join