It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phenomenon runs rings around the sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

KEY LARGO -- Meteorologist Matt Strahan said he assured several callers to the National Weather Service in Key West on Tuesday that the world was not coming to an end.
''We had about 150 calls and a lot of people walked in to ask about it,'' Strahan said. ``They had never seen it before.''

The strange sight seen in the skies throughout the Keys is known as the rare halo phenomenon.

''I think they are only seen when the sun is very high in the sky, directly overhead,'' Strahan said. ``Once the sun started heading toward the West, it disappeared.''

www.miamiherald.com...

I think we will see alot more of this and other natural phenomenon during this decade. As you can see, it doesnt take much for people to think "it the end of the world". 1,000 years ago I'm sure people would have went nuts over this, strangely in 2008 much hasnt changed.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
lol

"chicken lickin,the skies falling in"

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 30-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
interesting phenomenon, wonder if it was visible in other parts of South Florida yesterday and not just the Keys?

Too bad I wasn't paying attention to the skies yesterday during that time in Ft Laud.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Halos are not a rare phenomenen. They happen frequently depending on the location of ice in the upper troposphere. You just have to know when and where to look althought the picture in the article is fantastic

There are several different types of halos according to the angles and size of the ice particles. The following link is prob the best on the web for halo information

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Ice Crystals in the upper Atmosphere that all it is!

I once saw this in the dead of winter at night with a full moon.

Very cool indeed.

top topics

join