It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any salespeople on here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I ask, because I just went through Sandler training and it was quite interesting. Completely different approach to sales. Basically do exactly the opposite of what the prospect expects.

Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Is that the one where they tell you to be like Columbo (the detective on TV). Act kind of stupid, but likable. Don't put too much pressure on and what not?

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Excitable_Boy

Yup, I sale stuff. I pretty much you know like tell the chic "hey, it makes you look thin, it looks good but now we need to know how it looks when you make a barrel roll" and I then say "DO A BARREL ROLL!!" and she is scare a lil' bit now but she usually does it, if not then I say it again louder "DOO A BARREL ROOOLL!!" By now she does the barrel roll and I say. "AMAZING,This clothes are truly made for you!" And the chic pretty much buys the clothes afterwards.

BTW, you avatar reminds me that I need to buy some running shoes, I'll be running all this summer.

[edit on 29-4-2008 by Pagani]

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Sublime....you are correct. Sandler acts like Columbo at times. He also is into reversing everything onto the prospect.

Example:

Prospect (first phone call): I need a proposal.
Sandler: I can't help you.
P: What do you mean?
S: I don't know anything about your needs and you nothing about my solutions, so I can't help you until we discuss things in more detail. When can we get all the decision makers together?
P: That's why I need the proposal. To give to the decision makers.
S: Let's pretend you're me. Would you give you a proposal?
P: I don't follow you....
S: I can't help you. Are we done?
P: It seems so...
S: Great, can I ask you a few questions then?
P: Okay
S: (now in control of the call)............

Interesting stuff. Now I need to teach it to about 20 people in the field...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Yep. That's what I do. Listening is the key. Ask questions.
"What do you like about your current program?"
"On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate your current vendors?"
"If you could change anything about your current program what would it be?"

NEVER badmouth the competition. Show how you can:

A) Make the goals achievable
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY
B) Make the bosses recognize how his/her actions will recognize how good his/her decisions impacted the company.

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

Listening is the key to ANY sales technique.

I find the technique described here just a little too aggressive though (I'm in the UK though, and we look at things a little differently)

It also seems a little too "pat" like using really bad reverse psychology, which I'm sure would be pretty transparent to any reasonably intelligent person.

It seems a bit like telling a child that they CAN'T HAVE any greens, in the hope that it will make them want some.

Just my thoughts - I'd still be interested to know how it works out...

posted on Apr, 30 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Good stuff everyone. Sales is a funny thing. I have been involved in sales in one way or another for the last 22 years. This goes against everything I've been taught, but it does work. I'm in a very different environmment from what I'm used to. I started a new position in January.

Most of my past experience had been in first time close environments where you had to have many "closing techniques" and "overcoming objections" and closing again.....etc.

top topics

join