It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN troops armed DR Congo rebels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

UN troops \

news.bbc.co.uk

- Pakistani peacekeepers in the eastern town of Mongbwalu were involved in the illegal trade in gold with the FNI militia, providing them with weapons to guard the perimeter of the mines

- Indian peacekeepers operating around the town of Goma had direct dealings with the militia responsible for the Rwandan genocide, now living in eastern DR Congo

- The Indians traded gold, bought drugs from the militias and flew a UN helicopter into the Virunga National Park, where they exchanged ammunition for ivory

The UN looked into the allegations concerning the Pakistani troops in 2007.

It concluded that one officer had been responsible for dealing in gold - allowing traders to use UN aircraft to fly into the town, putting them up at the UN base and taking them around the town.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Beefcake]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I found this article on BBC news website with the headline "UN troops armed DR Congo rebels."

Later i checked BBC news website again and the same article been changed to be, in my opinion, less inflammatory.
Then new headline and re-written story was now called "UN defends DR Congo investigation."

This story is not surprising but it is surprising that it has been investigated by bbc and they found evidence.

What is surprising is finding an article that is later modified so that it is less noticeable and effect then subsequently buried.
Here is the modified article

Modified article

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Beefcake]

join