It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do skeptics believe in aliens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I noticed a lot of members like to call them selves skeptics.
I was just curious as to whether they believe in aliens or not.
I was of the understanding that skeptics don't believe in un-orthodox happenings.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I would really like to hear from ATS skeptics, what does being a skeptic mean to you?

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by StationsCreation
I noticed a lot of members like to call them selves skeptics.
I was just curious as to whether they believe in aliens or not.
I was of the understanding that skeptics don't believe in un-orthodox happenings.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I would really like to hear from ATS skeptics, what does being a skeptic mean to you?

Is that the same as asking a critic, what does being a critic mean to them? First of all, what IS a skeptic? One who is skeptical? So one who is skeptical is one who doubts, or questions legitimacy of something. Is it not wise to be questioning the legitimacy of EVERYTHING until you can ascertain the truth?

Questioning just for the sake of questioning is sometimes done by individuals. Just like Christians sometimes become Christians JUST to be Christians, since it's so popular. Popularity is enticing. Peer pressure helps.

To me a skeptic would be someone who questions the authenticity or validity of something, but does not necessarily DENY its existance, until he is able to ascertain (using WHATEVER MEANS POSSIBLE) the truth.

So a skeptic denies ignorance I guess. He refuses to BELIEVE until he understands the truth of something. This doesn't have to be due to "proof", but simply any way possible to acknowledge the reality or truth of a certain thing or event. Proof is sometimes subjective...

But of course, this is my personal view.

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
While I certainly would not be considered a skeptic by some of the skeptics here, I am fairly skeptical of all things paranormal. If it weren't for the fact that I've seen some UFOs myself, I may never have given this subject a second thought. Luckily for me (or maybe unlucky, I dunno), I got a real good look at one at a young age and have since tried to find out what is the truth of the matter. I do jump to the conclusion that what we are witnessing is at least partially extraterrestrial in nature, but I am not one to think that shapeshifting reptoids are running around as our political leaders. I even recently did a little amateur debunking right on this site regarding a new popular UFO case. Though there are enough government documented UFO cases for me to know that what people are seeing is more than mere swamp gas and temperature inversions. I continue to await some type of disclosure. ANY type of disclosure.

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
While I certainly would not be considered a skeptic by some of the skeptics here, I am fairly skeptical of all things paranormal. If it weren't for the fact that I've seen some UFOs myself, I may never have given this subject a second thought. Luckily for me (or maybe unlucky, I dunno), I got a real good look at one at a young age and have since tried to find out what is the truth of the matter. I do jump to the conclusion that what we are witnessing is at least partially extraterrestrial in nature, but I am not one to think that shapeshifting reptoids are running around as our political leaders. I even recently did a little amateur debunking right on this site regarding a new popular UFO case. Though there are enough government documented UFO cases for me to know that what people are seeing is more than mere swamp gas and temperature inversions. I continue to await some type of disclosure. ANY type of disclosure.

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by heelstone]

Digging for truth helps. Anticipation of disclosure may be unfulfilled. What if it never happens? You could spend your life waiting, or you can research and find the truth yourself. Yes, it's difficult, but possible. To each his own

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lilblam
Digging for truth helps. Anticipation of disclosure may be unfulfilled. What if it never happens? You could spend your life waiting, or you can research and find the truth yourself. Yes, it's difficult, but possible. To each his own
I'm fairly sure I've reached the limits of what a person who requires more factual data on the subject can find. Now I'm sure you would have me check with with a ouija board or something to find out the rest of the story, but I need more than that, I'm afraid.

I do think I and most people here will live to see disclosure. I find it highly unlikely that the secret will be able to be kept if the U.S. economy crashes and burns. Which it seems all too likely to do. No reason to keep a secret to maintain the status quo when the status quo no longer exists. We're gonna go through hell before we find out, but we will find out.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm pretty much of the same mind as heelstone here...

I always try to rule out the plausible, before accepting the fantastic....

For me, I've seen enough to realize that the alien situation is real enough, but I still don't believe claims until they are fleshed out a bit more, and corraborated.....

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I guess I would be considered a skeptic and I believe in them if for no other reason than it would make less sense to believe to we are alone in this HUGE universe.

I cannot say the same for each UFO claim. It is one thing to believe that alien life has evolved out there and quite another to believe that earth is Grand Centrel Station to the universe being visited by thousands of UFOs on a daily basis and half the people on earth have been abducted.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Skeptics believe in aliens and that we're not alone in the universere. They just won't accept the fact that we have been visited. To them traveling from planet to planet would take to long.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
No, it must not be a problem of belief. Read this: www.ufopsi.com...

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 02:53 AM
link   
I have a better idea,

why not ask all the skeptics at ATS why they even lurk around here in the first place?

I would like to read the answers myself.

posted on Feb, 28 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone

Originally posted by lilblam
I'm fairly sure I've reached the limits of what a person who requires more factual data on the subject can find. Now I'm sure you would have me check with with a ouija board or something to find out the rest of the story, but I need more than that, I'm afraid.

I do think I and most people here will live to see disclosure. I find it highly unlikely that the secret will be able to be kept if the U.S. economy crashes and burns. Which it seems all too likely to do. No reason to keep a secret to maintain the status quo when the status quo no longer exists. We're gonna go through hell before we find out, but we will find out.

Very interesting HS. But I do not believe that the government will disclose the possible fact that there is indeed ET life other than our own. If this disclosure shall happen in our lifetimes, then it would be done by the ETs themselves with permission from a government(s). I doubt they would interfere with us right now considering the conflicts in the middle east. They obviously know we are a violent race and have warned us before about war(from abductee reports), so perhaps they will sit out this skermish in the east and wait for the appropriate time to take action of their presence?

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I consider myself a skeptic. That means I use the scientific method and critical thinking. If someone makes a fantastic claim, he should present evidence. I don't rule things out, but I like to go for the more plausible explanation.

I like to stay out of UFO discussions, but in my opinion UFOs, as in their definition of Unidentified Flying Objects, are real. That only means I admit that there are Unidentified Flying Objects. The evidence for exterrestial life visiting us is in my opinion weak and relies to much on witness accounts, which are never to be completely trusted. I understand how someone can conclude after readings all the stories that there are really aliens visiting us, but I want better evidence before I believe it.

Why I am here as a skeptic? It's a fun forum and I couldn't stand the horrible scientific claims sometimes made in the Science and Technology forum (antigravity, cosmology, quantum physics, etc.), so I decided I should help and answer the questions and correct the mistakes where possible.

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeffrey
Very interesting HS. But I do not believe that the government will disclose the possible fact that there is indeed ET life other than our own. If this disclosure shall happen in our lifetimes, then it would be done by the ETs themselves with permission from a government(s). I doubt they would interfere with us right now considering the conflicts in the middle east. They obviously know we are a violent race and have warned us before about war(from abductee reports), so perhaps they will sit out this skermish in the east and wait for the appropriate time to take action of their presence?
Well, if our governments are eliminated due to bankruptcy, then everybody who is keeping the secret a secret will no longer be duty bound to keep their mouth shut. This is why I am saying that disclosure will happen if the U.S. economy collapses. Most likely it will cause a cascading effect which will wreck the world economy since the world is so dependent upon the U.S. to maintain itself. Pretty much all governments will either be completely ruined or just barely hanging on, incapable of recovery. The secret will surely be let out then.

As for ETs and their little stupid ways of dealing with us earthlings, to hell with them. They are so goofy with how they deal with man that I don't even care to consider their thoughts or opinions on us. The unsuspecting populace of the world will find out one way or another be it by alien disclosure or by disclosure from failed governments. Its going to happen.

Surely aliens know that most of the wars on this planet are monentary plans set forth by our political leaders and not actual violence that can never be ended. If the U.S. didn't need money so desperately, we wouldn't have been attacking anybody for decades. Most violence can be avoided by eradicating the need for money or other material goods and when all our governments collapse, that will end wars right then and there as there will no longer be people in charge to enact such large scale violence.

[Edited on 29-2-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Feb, 29 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
The question is invalid.

Definition of skeptic:
One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons.
One who instinctively or habitually doubts, questions, or disagrees with assertions or generally accepted conclusions.

Definition of believe:
To accept as true or real
To credit with veracity
To expect or suppose
To have firm faith, especially religious faith
To have faith, confidence, or trust
To have confidence in the truth or value of something
To have an opinion; think

new topics

top topics

join