It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anzac Day - Lest We Forget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Here in Australia and New Zealand it is Anzac Day.

Anzac stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps, to whom the day is dedicated to. We remember those lost in war and those that returned home. We remember their sacrifice to preserve our freedom.

My Grandfather was posted in New Guinea during WW2, and my Grandmother was part of the homefront helping to make clothing and supplies to send to the troops.

I proudly marched today with both their medals and my Dad marched with his and his brothers, both of them Vietnam vets. Sadly, my uncle passed away from the effects of Agent Orange not long after the end of the war.

To all those fellow AU/NZers (other worldwide members are welcome to answer as well), do you have relatives that have fought in wars? What part of the military were they in and where did they serve?

Let's honour our heroes today.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this fooffstarr.

Although i didn't have any family fight in WW2, i will make my way to Kings Park, here in Perth, to pay my respects.

They will NEVER be forgotten.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
If you were in the Melbourne march, no doubt I saw you there. Good on you.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Nah, i marched in my home town. Was probably about 1 or 2000 people marched and probably triple that watching.

I'm only young myself (20), but it makes me happy to see more and more people turning out each year.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
My grandfather fought in WW2.He passed away last year and never really spoke of it.
I never went to any parades because i was still asleep from driving all night.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
If anybody is interested I started a thread on Anzac day here . My thoughts were of course with my Great Grandfather , Pa and my Dad who were all Diggers . Last night I watched a program that followed Apiata around after and just before he was awarded the Victoria Cross . I must say that I felt for the guy he went from anonymity(SP?) of being a member of the NZSAS to being a public figure over night .

new topics

top topics

join