It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News! US shows evidence of alleged Syria-N. Korea nuke collaboration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

US shows evidence of alleged Syria-N. Korea nuke collaboration

ap.google.com

A top U.S. official says the Syrian nuclear reactor allegedly built with North Korean design help and destroyed last year by Israeli jets was within weeks or months of being functional.

The official says the facility was mostly completed but still needed significant testing before it could be declared operational. The official spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.

No uranium — the fuel for a reactor — was evident at the site.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
(visit the link for the full news article)

New link hit BBC news 6 mins ago

BBC NEWS LINK

FULL STATEMENT WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY

Today, administration officials have briefed select Congressional committees on an issue of great international concern.
Until 6 September, 2007, the Syrian regime was building a covert nuclear reactor in its eastern desert capable of producing plutonium. We are convinced, based on a variety of information, that North Korea assisted Syria's covert nuclear activities. We have good reason to believe that reactor, which was damaged beyond repair on 6 September of last year, was not intended for peaceful purposes.

And so it begins .........

Syria responds

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Syria's ambassador to the United States on Thursday dismissed as "a fantasy" U.S. accusations that North Korea had helped his country build a secret nuclear reactor.

"This is a fantasy and this administration has a proven record about fabricating stories about other countries' WMDs," Ambassador Imad Moustapha said in an interview on CNN, referring to weapons of mass destruction

EDIT to add additional links and info

[edit on 24/4/08 by Quantum_Squirrel]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
this is from the washington post , but i just saw this story break on newsnight in England.

someone has been taking pictures of facilities being built and the syrian-north korean technology is practiclly identicle will update when i get more links.

this all looks strangely familiar , evertyone hold on and hope the world makes it through this .

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
the house of commons in england just released pictures of reactors , plants being built etc etc , from both countries, and the stuff is the same.

WMD omg here we go again , these people will not ret until the planet burns and smolders ...dont do it george dont do it..

Also is it me or is this the first time they publicly admited about the sortie of isreal jets attacking syrian targets , i remember a post here with the news 3-4 months ago.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
What I find interesting about this is that Syria was very quiet after Israel bombed this site. I would have expected them to use this to show how Israel is so aggressive and a threat etc...but that never happened. And I don't think a link between NK and Syria is that far off. We know NK has nukes, we know they have a plant, and we know they wouldn't blink about selling the tech.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Very interesting development. I will bet my shirt that nothing will happen unless Israel and America can prove way beyond any reasonable doubt that their allegations are true. After what happened with the false Iraq intelligence, the world community will be very skeptical in approving (even through negligence) any further military action.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Maybe they are presenting this "evidence" so as to couple them with Iran in two pronged strike. Syria/Iran providing IUDs working on "unapporved" Nuclear facilities, the list goes on. Great here comes another couple trillion in debt.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
Maybe they are presenting this "evidence" so as to couple them with Iran in two pronged strike. Syria/Iran providing IUDs working on "unapporved" Nuclear facilities, the list goes on. Great here comes another couple trillion in debt.

"Syria/Iran providing IUDs ..."

I don't understand what birth control devices provided by Syria/Iran has to do with this thread or any sort of a crisis?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The strike happened in September so it is weird that the issue resurfaces now. My bet - there are talks between Israel and Syria via Turkey as a mediator going on now. It all concerns Golan heights and i am not sure if our (Israeli) PM is sincere about giving it or if Syrian leader is sincere about no-longer-friend-of-Iran-and-Hizballah. But it seems someone is trying to sink whatever is going on. The video in question was before the strike,as far as i know.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Whoops that would be IED not IUD. Freudian slip? Ho ho.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The evidence they present MUST be full and complete, if their are any flaws in the U.S accusations i fear the implications will be global.

After Iraq we cant afford to make another mistake , and if its all true even then we should only do something with Full international backing, however with GB in charge and his bunch of bomb first and get real evidence later cronies i fear for us all.

What if this is disinfo leaked by someone , china , russia , syria even n-korea themselves .. How do you know they arnt setting YOU (U.S.A) up as the bad guys and they will declare they are legaly banding together to combat the American threat. after you rampage through the world based on false information.

Walking on egg shells.....

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This story of the Syria-NK connection is meant as a veiled diplomatic public threat to Syria led by the US oil-corporate interests to toe the line and participate (under duress) in the reopening of the Northern Iraqi Mosul-Haifa pipeline routes from Kirkuk via the pumping stations at Haditha to the Israeli port of Haifa

link to map of pipeline route

This ties in with the following events:

The 'surge' by US forces into Northern Iraq (to protect the oilfields)

Turkey's cross-border incursions into Kurdish PKK areas with the tacit approval of the US

Bush and Cheney's visit to Israel

The US preparations to sell exported Iraqi oil at $50 per barrel

And most tellingly, Israel's most recent offer to Syria to return the Golan Heights in exchange for a binding peace treaty...

The last point is the most crucial in the reopening of the Mosul-Haifa line as it runs straight through the Golan

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by US Monitor
We know NK has nukes, we know they have a plant, and we know they wouldn't blink about selling the tech.

Just as we know that Israel has nukes and a manufacturing plant (thanks to Mordechai Vanunu) and had sold the technology to the South African apartheid regime and against the UN trade embargo

hypocritical, no?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by US Monitor
We know NK has nukes, we know they have a plant, and we know they wouldn't blink about selling the tech.

Just as we know that Israel has nukes and a manufacturing plant (thanks to Mordechai Vanunu) and had sold the technology to the South African apartheid regime and against the UN trade embargo

hypocritical, no?

I missed that, where is the nuclear power plant in South Africa that produces plutonium?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

we all know that isreal are stanch U.S allies in the area , but i think this is more America bearing its teeth yet again rather than nudging isreal to do something covertly , this was already done back in september with a few isreali jets.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

Here's two sources detailing technological and material transfer between the two nations to start with...

South Africa and weapons of mass destruction

According to the Nuclear Threat Initiative, in 1977 Israel traded 30 grams of tritium in exchange for 50 tons of South African uranium and in the mid-80s assisted with the development of the RSA-3 ballistic missile. [8] Also in 1977, according to foreign press reports, it was suspected that South Africa signed a pact with Israel that included the transfer of military technology and the manufacture of at least six atom bombs. [9]

Chris McGreal has claimed that "Israel provided expertise and technology that was central to South Africa's development of its nuclear bombs".[10] In 2000, Dieter Gerhardt, Soviet spy and former commander in the South African Navy, claimed that Israel agreed in 1974 to arm eight Jericho II missiles with "special warheads" for South Africa. [11]

South Africa's Nuclear Autopsy

In June 1980, the CIA (Central Intelligence Agency) reported to the National Security Council that the 2-3 kiloton nuclear test had probably involved Israel and South Africa. U.S. intelligence had tracked frequent visits to South Africa by Israeli nuclear scientists, technicians and defense officials in the years preceding the incident and concluded that "clandestine arrangements between South Africa and Israel for joint nuclear testing operations might have been negotiable." Such speculation was fueled in 1986 when Israeli nuclear technician Mordechai Vanunu was interviewed by the London Sunday Times. Vanunu said that it was common knowledge at Dimona that South African metallurgists, technicians, and scientists were there on exchange programs.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by US Monitor

They never had one. They built 6 uranium based gun-type nuclear weapons in the 1980's. Under international pressure, they dismantled their nuclear weapons and their ability to produce them when they anticipated switching to an elected government in the 1990's.

They signed the NPT in 1991, and to this date remain the only country to develop nuclear weapons and then completely disband their nuclear program.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thanks that is interesting and I did not know that.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
i just still think its all a prelude to war .. just like iraq , this is the so called evidence. it wont belong before our respective governments hold a joint conference (U.K and U.S.A), presenting to us the dossier and evidence on why we should blow to hell other countries in the middle east .. this is the start of world war 3 in my opinion countries will get dragged in left and right.

top topics

join