It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where does the English word 'God' derive from?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I tried to find out many moons ago, and got side-tracked, until recently. I'm doing a bit of research in the hopes of enlisting the help from my fellow ATS'rs in finding the truth.

Definition of 'God' - Dictionary.com

For some reason, English speaking individuals have settled on this word: GOD to denote a supreme entity.

Other cultures, for example, use these words to mean the same thing:

Muslim/Islamic: Allah
Jew: Yahweh

The English language is a mixture of few other languages; one of them being of 'Germanic' nature.

I noticed from my above definition link:

[Origin: bef. 900; ME, OE; c. D god, G Gott, ON goth, Goth guth]

So now we have these three names:

1. Gott
2. goth
3. guth

Can we go further back in time with this 'reverse engineering' of information?

~Ducky~

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The earliest written form of the Germanic word god comes from the 6th century Christian Codex Argenteus. The English word itself is derived from the Proto-Germanic * ǥuđan. Most linguists agree that the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European form * ǵhu-tó-m was based on the root * ǵhau(ə)-, which meant either "to call" or "to invoke".

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by alienib

Do you have any links to that my friend?

I'm doing referencing and cross-referencing at this point.

I appreciate your help!

~Ducky~

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
great thread, ducky!

i've always wondered this myself, especially after looking into the origins of the words other languages use for god

star and a flag

hmm...ducky, would you care to expand the thread to include the origins of the word for "god" in other languages?

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

The word God comes from the name GOrDon which is his actual last name. GOD was Gregory GOrDon. (To use the past tense) He was the "second" Christ who made war with the anti-Christ, Ronald Reagan. And as if to signify that it's all about Him, Me, I included the name of my adversary in my proper name. (note the r.o.n, in GOrDon) Think not that because I exist in present time according to your calendars that I did not let my name be known throughout time and space.

For a full breakdown of my name see The Creation of God and click on my new name and or the word of God

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienib
The earliest written form of the Germanic word god comes from the 6th century Christian Codex Argenteus. The English word itself is derived from the Proto-Germanic * ǥuđan.".
Proper name GOrDon in Formal English

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

This is a fairly good online source:

ETYMOLOGY

There are many much better off-line.

And for Sanskrit (there is no Indo-European etymology without it):

Sanskrit Dictionary

posted on Apr, 26 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm not too sure about the word God, but i believe that the word 'Sin' has roots in a particular ancient sumerian moon-god who is otherwise known as Nanna or Zu-en.

His Chief sanctuary was called the "House of the great light", and another was called the "House of Joys".

Interestingly, it is believed/perceived that this moon-worship was human society's first awareness of astrology.

*Stops before getting carried away*

join