It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN cuts school children's meals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
UN cuts school children's meals

A "SILENT tsunami" unleashed by costlier food is threatening 100million people, the United Nations has warned, revealing that its World Food Program has begun cutting the provision of school meals to some of the world's poorest children as the global food-price crisis worsens.

Britain has also pledged $US900million ($947 million) to help the UN World Food Program alleviate its immediate problems and address longer-term solutions to "help put food on the table for nearly a billion people going hungry across the world".

Riots in poor Asian and African countries have followed steep rises in food prices caused by many factors: rising demand from consumers in developing countries such as China and India, the effect of climate change on food production, dearer fuel and the conversion of land to grow crops for biofuel.

"The era of cheap food is over," said Rajat Nag, managing director general of the Asian Development Bank.

Didn't I just hear the same thing about "cheap oil" from a guy on Glenn Beck yesterday? Not that this or that was a real surprise. I'm guessing 'we' could help more if we were'nt in a massive deficit b/c of our policies.

I will suggest these kids *might* just look mad b/c they are keeping them from eating and letting their bowl of food get cold.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by RabbitChaser]

join