It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemotherapys Damage to the Brain Revealed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

A commonly used chemotherapy drug causes healthy brain cells to die off long after treatment has ended and may be one of the underlying biological causes of the cognitive side effects -- or "chemo brain" -- that many cancer patients experience.

Read More...

[edit on 23-4-2008 by The Joshhh]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this study. It is very interesting. I am currently undergoing chemotherapy which includes a pretty big dose of 5-FU. I can definitely attest to having chemo brain. It is a big reason why I lurk so much anymore here on the board and don't post as much as I used to. I am on the chemo for the last 2 years and will be on it indefinitely due to the fact that I still have cancer in my pelvis. The chemobrain really does suck, but on the otherhand it has definitely prolonged my life. And while I feel like crap for about a 5 to 7 days after treatment, my quality of life could be worse.

Just to give an example, they do a standard blood test on me once a month called a CEA level. It can test to see if any tumors are growing, by checking the levels of proteins produced by tumors. (I think). Anyhow, before I started chemo my level was over 10, which is extremely high, but within a month of starting chemotherapy treatments it went down to less than 2, which is well within acceptable ranges. So what I am trying to say is that while there are some very negative effects such as chemobrain, the drugs have defintiley extended my life.

I have no doubt that drugs like F-5U do cause chemo brain and even worse things like dementia, and I pray that I never experience anything worse than what I am going through right now. But like I said I consider a well worthwhile tradeoff in my case.

Thanks for posting this thread, it is very interesting.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
My father also had cancer ten years ago, in his case was early enough to control.

I imagine that with anything that has to do with treatments is always that chance of side effects.

But when the benefits out weight the side effects and made life better for the person in treatment then is worth it.

At least people have a choice.

William I am glad that you are benefiting from the treatment.

new topics

join