It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza Hut delivers pink slip to employee held at gunpoint

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Coshy

Why? What they did is right. Any guy who gets into a gunfight over $20 in change and a couple of pizzas is a moron.

Just give them what they want and move on.

If it becomes known that they are allowed to carry guns, they will be shot dead before they are even given the chance to hand over whatever the robbers want.

The company is just protecting the drivers from their own stupidity.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
There are three Pizza Huts within 5 miles of where the shooting happened. I was unable to find out which one employed Speirs, however all three are owned by the same franchisee.

Their contact info is:

NPC International
7300 West 129th St.
Overland Park, KS 66213
Phone: 913-327-5555
Fax: 913-327-5850

Their website is:
NPC International

They are the largest Pizza Hut franchise in the world with nearly 840 locations.

So rather than boycott them, send them a letter condemming their firing of the delivery driver.

Or if you do still want to boycott, check for locations near you.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

the company may say that they want you to give up the money...but they are IMPLYING that they don't care if you lose your life by an armed robbery if that also happens while the robbery is taking place. so long as you don't carry a firearm to work, you stay imployed.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Does the policy force the employee to reimburse the company the stolen funds from his own pocket? That could be a few hours work wages.

If the employee gives up the money and is attacked or killed does the company cover damages and care?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Just give them what they want and move on.

Then they blow you away so they don't get fingered. Nice. Did you read my post about them dialing 911 and killing the paramedics for a drug box? If everyone carried a gun you would have some accidents for sure. You would also create plenty of fear in these thugs hearts and cut violent crime in half.

Do you have any idea what its like to be the prey of these violent predators? As a civilized society we don't need to take that. They know the cops cannot show up in time so these animals take full advantage of that.

We as Americans are mad as hell and we are not going to take it anymore. Our political correctness made this madhouse. we cannot point out facts that certain demographic is preying on us because we let them. We don't take about this 500 lb gorilla that sits there and knows we will lie down for it.

Its time to tame our country. Its time we openly talk about the problem without being labeled. If you cannot even talk about the problem how do you fix it?

Its not about money. Its about principle. I say NO MORE!

We need to stand on our hind legs like men If a gun is in your face you pull yours and shoot them. They may shoot you first, but enough citizens do this and the predators who deep in there hearts are cowards will finally stop.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
Did you read my post about them dialing 911 and killing the paramedics for a drug box?

Could you link that please - I sure a lot of people would like to read into that.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Does the policy force the employee to reimburse the company the stolen funds from his own pocket? That could be a few hours work wages.

If the employee gives up the money and is attacked or killed does the company cover damages and care?

1. No, the employee, if robbed, is not liable for returning the cash stolen. He obeyed company policy by handing over the cash bag.
2. The company would be legally responsible for any damages/injruies the employee received while 'on the clock'.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then

Could you link that please - I sure a lot of people would like to read into that.

This is from personal experience. They were friends of mine. I am fire/rescue.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by almeister 5000
Now i'm from england so we can't carry guns legally (The smart idea)

I don't know if this statement was scarcasim (sorry if it was); but maybe if you were able to, your Government wouldn't be so Orwellan.

/Sorry for the off-topic remark.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan

This is from personal experience. They were friends of mine. I am fire/rescue.

so thats a no then, Im pretty sure paramedics being shot dead for drugs would make the local news at least.

If the driver is unarmed, theres a minimal chance he will get shot if he hands over the cash.

If hes armed, theres a very good chance he will be shot dead as soon as he goes for the gun.

Getting mad at the robbers is massively lowering the chance of survival.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman2

I don't know if this statement was scarcasim (sorry if it was); but maybe if you were able to, your Government wouldn't be so Orwellan.

/Sorry for the off-topic remark.
Yeah, and everyone in the US owning guns is really helping out against the government there.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

From what I've read and seen, it wasn't about $20 -- it was about having a gun put to your head. In that case, I would have reacted the same way since no one could predict what the gunman would do -- after all, it was premeditated, and since they did not live at the complex, they could easily have killed the delivery man, and fled (with or without the pizza he was delivering).

I've also seen at least two posts aimed negatively at Mr. Spears for wanting counseling -- he doesn't appear to have an anger problem, so my bet is ANYONE that had gone through his trauma would want to avail themselves of professional counseling. You don't just go to bed that night, and wake up the next morning with everything OK like it never happened. It's generally known as PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - even big bad Marines sometimes have it!

Any of you who are criticizing Mr. Spears ever been robbed at gunpoint? Didn't think so!

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I deleted all content on My own.

[edit on 24-4-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Coshy

...and what if said robber takes your cash bag, your wallet, your car and then shoots you in the face to ensure no witnesses?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

What, you don't think thugs in the UK don't have guns? Of course they do! Just like they would still have them here if the gun control nut jobs have their way and take them from all the honest folk. True he did violate company policy and what the company wants is you to be a victim and hand over the goods. That being said I know of Dominoe's drivers who didn't even get the chance to hand anything over ... they were just shot!! I have a CCW permit and IMHO no company has the right to tell me I have to be a victim for them or otherwise. As well, certain public places like shopping malls with their "No Firearms" signs thinking they are making it safer for all is just bunk. I still carry mine there and always will. If more responsible folk had CCW's when the shooting started in that Mall a few months back it would have ended much quicker and with fewer innocents being killed. I myself will not be buying ANY Pizza Hut products or any company that willingly violates honest people's 2nd amendment rights!!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'm a manager at a pizza hut location in texas, and I know all about the dangers that delivery drivers face. It's actually a very sensitive situation.

No- drivers (like any other employee of any regular company) are not allowed to carry any kind of weapon on them while at work. What they have in their car is their own business, but what is on their person while they are on the job is the company's business.

I've been the manager on duty when a few of our driver muggings have occurred. The drivers are always reimbursed, and are required to undergo medical examination for any injuries they sustain. Therefore, it IS always better to just hand over what the robbers are asking for. I know alot of extremely paranoid people on this thread have the opinion that these robbers "might just be looking to kill someone". Seriously? Then why would they ask for the money? Why wouldn't they just shoot the guy? A very low percentage of sociopaths aside, there is always a reason for someone to threaten someone else. Give that person what they want, and you'll more than likely come out of it okay.

The man who got fired was ONLY fired because the violated company policy, twice- he carried a firearm outside of his vehicle while on the clock, and he did not follow robbery protocol. If there were no policies that dealt with this specific type of incident, then it would be a "gray" area, and subject to opinion and discussion. Since there are, however, the driver was well aware of what he was doing.

As for those posts about sending drivers into bad neighborhoods, these people obviously haven't thought about handling those customers who live there. When someone calls and asks for a delivery, and you deny them because "it's a bad part of town", those people can sue you for libel. It happened once at our store: an employee refused service based on that reason, and the customer took our area (district?) manager to court. As a result, we have to keep delivering there without question, because of course, everyone in that neighborhood heard about it.

I'm glad the guy's okay, but I'd call him more lucky than brave. He happened to be quick enough to shoot his attackers before they could shoot him. And he risked his life for MAYBE $150 (policy states that drivers can only carry change for a $20, for this very reason), when it would be safe to assume he would have gotten away safely (or maybe only slightly injured, but completely compensated for medical care, time off, and the money he lost) if he had just given them what they asked for.

Specifics could be offered to determine more about the situation and the demands of the robbers, but from what we know, it just looks like an armed robbery in which the drivers happened to come out on top.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join