It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to start tissue regeneration study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   

US scientists, backed by the Pentagon, embark on innovative projects to find ways to grow new skin, muscles and other body tissue.

The newly-commissioned Armed Forces Institute of Regenerative Medicine will perform a 250-million-dollar research to find ways to help repair nerve damage and regenerate skin, muscles and even limbs using the stem cells of wounded soldiers.

www.presstv.ir...

My question is what kind of support is the Pentagon offering? Sounds like this $250,000,000 research project will have many military implications.

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I'm sure someone will find a reason to disagree with me, but I consider this great news! Whatever help the Pentagon can give, it should.

With all the degenerate diseases plaguing mankind, the stem cell has been touted by medical researchers for quite some time now as the best hope for a true cure. Recently, a new breakthrough in the technology has opened up the field:

Embryonic stem cells are taken from a developing embryo at the blastocyst stage, destroying the embryo, a developing human life. Adult stem cells, on the other hand, are found in all tissues of the growing human being and, according to latest reports, also have the potential to transform themselves into practically all other cell types, or revert to being stem cells with greater reproductive capacity. Embryonic stem cells have not yet been used for even one therapy, while adult stem cells have already been successfully used in numerous patients, including for cardiac infarction (death of some of the heart tissue).

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.21stcenturysciencetech.com...

No more do we have the onerous decision of whether taking the life of a child for the good of research is moral or ethical. And with that debate out of the way, research can begin in earnest. I am really excited about this!

One of the wonderful things about the military is that they operate outside the traditional capitalist market. Freedom is so dear that we do not place a price on it, and therefore can research what no private enterprise ever could. That research makes its way into the private market and we have a new medical technique that can help millions.

Just think of a day when losing one's leg in a battle to preserve our freedom doesn't mean a life in a wheelchair...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 20 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sorry to burst the bubble, but this news is about 10 years old at the very least.

Stem cells aren't new science... just like nanotech was discovered in the 60s, these technologies are only coming to the fore about now.

join