It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN website targeted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

CNN website targeted

edition.cnn.com

A CNN spokesman said the Web site began to notice problems around midday Thursday and took measures to isolate the trouble by limiting the number of users who could access it from specific geographic areas.

As a result, he said, some users in those areas experienced temporary slowdowns or problems accessing the site.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.thedarkvisitor.com
asia.cnet.com

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I started to notice this yesterday, around 6.30 am, Japan time. CNN was timing out. I tried a few times throughout the day, and last night it was still down. A brief scan of the blogsphere revealed that it seemed to be affecting users across Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mainland China, Korea, and Thailand.

For me, both the english and japanese sites seemed to be offline.

A bit more poking around found the blogs listed above, with the following info: at 8:00 PM, Beijing time, April 19, there is to be a concerted DDOS attack on the CNN servers, allegedly coming from China, as a protest against the way CNN has been handling its China reporting recently.

However, CNN reported that the slowdown yesterday was of their own doing -

"CNN took preventative measures to filter traffic in response to attempts to disrupt our Web site. A small percentage of CNN.com users in Asia are impacted," the network said in a statement.

From what I've been able to gather, CNN effectively blocked out everything east of India, as a pre-emptive measure. Does that make any sense to anyone?

Anyway, yeah. There's your breaking news. CNN staged a pre-emptive DDOS yesterday in anticipation of today's real DDOS. Follow the bouncing ball....

edition.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-4-2008 by vox2442]

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Yes, I had problems also yesterday here in Aus.
From about lunch time on wards i couldnt get to cnn.

new topics

join