It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Rules football unites Israelis and Palestinians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Footy expanded her son's life in a way she believed was good. She began to see the larger potential of this. With James Demetriou from Sport Without Borders she floated the idea of taking Ozkick to Israeli and Palestinian kids. Then the AFL's multicultural officer, Nick Hatzoglou, suggested bringing a team to Australia

On Wednesday, in the AFL's boardroom, a collection of businessmen donated nearly $300,000 to make that possible.

Source

I thought that this was a good news story that was worth posting . It is nice to know that outside influences can have a positive effect on the Israelis and Palestinian problem. Even thou this footy team doesn't register in terms of the scale of the problems at hand or the population anything that unites the next generation of Israelis and Palestinians can only be a good thing.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
yes I am an Aussie and so is Footy.

It is still war but played out on a field with a footy and hopefully a pie floater after.

I believe team sports in general is a great way to bridge the gaps between groups of people.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
In my best Homer Simpson voice........mmmm pie floater

(visualise drool at side of mouth with eyes closed and head back)

Back on topic ...sport is a great way of bringing people together.

Lets hope some common ground can be found...little tiny steps to peace.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Its a rubbish game anyway though? Lol Just kidding.

On a serious note, this is a very nice story to hear. It shows that sport can unite a divided people, and I have always believed the latter.

Lets hope this spirit can spead to the rest of the country and end this conflict.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My best friend I went to school with and I used to play football every Saturday,while waiting for others to show we saw a NZ rugby team,they invited us to scrum with them,after he graduated he left for New Zealand,joined national team and I've never seen nor heard from him,kind of off subject but I'm old still have my memorys lol,ohh and my other buddy married a girl from Queensland

top topics

join