It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be wrong for women to genetically engineer men who aren't dominant?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
As a woman and an arch defender of personal freedom, I would have to reject the idea of genetically altering any one group to make them more to our liking. While there might be some positive effects, we would only be able to accomplish this in a small part of the population. Then where would the fight or flight response go? What if, you were a man, and you were out in the woods camping, and a bear came up on you? If you didn't have those aggressive tendencies, your only response would be to flee. You wouldn't be prepared to defend yourself. So then what happens if the bear catches up with you? You can't shoot him because you've never owned a gun because you're not aggressive in nature. You can't stab him because all you can think of is getting away. This might be an extreme example, but men are who they are because of competition. Women are more community-based, but together, the two balance each other out when we use them appropriately.

The answer to the problem is for men to model good male behavior to other men, and for women to do the same for other women. When we allow our "nature" to overtake us with no ethical controls, that is when we have problems. Ethical controls don't come from our genetic makeup.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It would seem to me that many of these traits may be passed down by the parents and the environment. So, I would think that many of these problems are psychological and not genetic.

If science was able to bring out or locate these within the brain and then reduce their patterns such as rewiring, then maybe even the worst of criminal behavior patterns and memories can be eliminated.

To say these are totally genetic seems to be an error. I grew up having a father who assumed just because I was a male, that I should take after him. He was wrong. I was the only left handed kid in the house and he tried to change that by making me eat with my right hand. Of course he had stated that all his kids were sh*t anyway.

Before he died last year, he wanted me to forgive him for something. I still don't know which thing he meant. I doubt he was referring to the grassy knole. Woody Harrelson seemed to come out alright. I guess it's just how some of us deal with (marital) stress. Some guys (even therapists) go to the rifle range and go hunting.(oh deer)

My second wife had threatened to move out and said I couldn't stop her. So, I said fine, I'll help you move.

<< 1   >>

join