It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Alert System (Map)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   

SafePlans has launched a free interactive School Security Awareness Map and blog at www.schoolsafetynews.com. The innovative map displays relevant school security-related issues and is designed to inform stakeholders on the need for improved school safety.

"Many school administrators, teachers and parents are in denial," says Brad Spicer, CEO of SafePlans, LLC; which provides the service at no cost. "Even though they see replays of tragedies on TV, they feel these incidents 'can't happen here.'"

SafePlans' School Security Awareness Map is provided to improve situational awareness through the posting of school safety related incidents and success stories. To protect privacy, these postings will be limited to information that is readily accessible through the media and includes topics such as school shootings, bomb threats, evacuations, severe weather, bus accidents and school safety improvements.

PR Release

Schools Alert System

So far, only reports from US schools are on this site. However, the map is a world map, so maybe they have plans to eventually branch out.

It's too bad that we have come to this (which is why I homeschool). It's very frightening how many incidents there have already been (over 70 from April 1-April 16), or are showing currently.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Do you know if they have any data on "school violence" from at least the 60's through today.
I am curious because I think it would reflect that today's school violence per capita is not statisticaly different than any other time.
Why do I say that?
We have 24 hour news now. If the media wanted to they could report on every single driving fatality and we would all lose our minds on how many there are and it would appear epidemic. It is media saturation of an issue that causes this....sometimes it is good because we at least are aware of a situation that didn't get mass attention.
Just think if they reported every single drunk driving caused death....the public would demand their elected politicians do something and it might cause them to make new or harsher laws....the media is powerful.
So I think it is great that schools come up with plans but it is because of highten awareness brought about by the media and not necessarily a pandemic of school violence.

.....oh, and I think home schooling is great for "education" but poor on "socialization"....a balance would be to make sure home school kids participate in sports and other activities with peers. Important lessons that can't be taught at home. We all have to learn to live in this "not so nice" world.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I do not believe the sight has the statistics you are looking for. Of course, I invite you to look for yourself. I would think that doing an internet search would possibly give you information on school violence over the years.

As to your ideas on homeschooling and socialization, well, I'll just leave you with a quote from a post of mine on another thread. It's a thread you might browse some day, if you get a chance.

ATS thread

We definitely do not have a problem with socialization. Stop by my house any day and you will find a minimum of 6 “extra” kids. My children are friends with kids who homeschool and kids who go to public school. They play organized sports, belong to groups, go to dances, etc. The difference is that they get to choose who they spend time with. They don't have to worry about someone making their life hell at school because they don't go along with the crowd. And they have much better friends because of that. At the same time, they are not sheltered. They are put in situations where they might not like or get along with people they have to be around, and they are learning how to still be productive in such an environment.

You can also do an internet search for studies regarding homeschoolers and socialization. Might be surprised.

Hope I don't come off too cranky. I'm a bit tired tonight. You see, I just got back from coaching my daughter's soccer team and then had to pick up my son from his soccer practice. You know...organized sports, with publicly schooled kids and all.

And good luck....I have a feeling you're going to need it.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Anyway...

I thought this map might be a good tool for all those conspiracies involving schools.

And for those of you who haven't run across these yet...

Global Incident Map

for terrorism and suspicious events (also includes links to the School Alert Map, along with an Illegal Alien Activity map, Amber Alert map and "coming soon" an Outbreaks/Bird Flu map).

Natural Emergencies and Disasters

top topics

join