It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Turtle Found in Vietnam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
A new addition to the pantheon of mythical beasts being discovered to be true appears again.

CLEVELAND - Researchers from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo have discovered a rare giant turtle in northern Vietnam — a find that carries great scientific and cultural significance. Swinhoe's soft-shell turtle was previously thought to be extinct in the wild. Three other turtles of the species are in captivity, said experts from the Zoo's Asian turtle program.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

I find it interesting that they dont say exactly how big it is, maybe we will find out soon enough.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Three other turtles of the species are in captivity, said experts from the Zoo's Asian turtle program.The discovery represents hope for the species

Kinda contradictory, eh?

Krikes, Just leave them alone

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Grock

I find it interesting that they dont say exactly how big it is, maybe we will find out soon enough.

I think this might be the same turtle..

"The . It can measure 2 meters (6 1/2 feet) long and can weigh as much as 200 kilograms," said Professor Ha Dinh Duc of Hanoi National University.
source

Pretty good sized! 200 kilograms = 440 lbs

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
whoa scramjet, your link says that they found and preserved a turtle specimen 30 years ago.... well that article was 10 years old... 40 years ago.... and they estimated it to have been over 500 YEARS OLD!!!!!

Dude we've got some catching up to do. I wonder if these turtles are intelligent in some way. I mean, 500 years is a lotta years to just sit and be mighty.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by indierockalien

I mean, 500 years is a lotta years to just sit and be mighty.

True. I doubt anything really messed with it in that fresh water lake. King of the pond, yet a gentle giant.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Not so sure this is crypto but interesting none the less. I didn't read anything about 500 year lifespans though. Hey, just goes to show you that genetic programming is amazing. If these guys can live that long, then there's no reason why we wouldn't be able to at some point. The Bible has people in it that lived for hundreds of years prior to disease, pollution, unnatural foods, etc...

top topics

join