It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Permits to Protest?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If you have not heard yet, the St. Paul City council is requiring all protesters to obtain permits to protest the Rebulican National Convention in early september, outside the Xcel Center in Downtown. Is that absurd or what? Many of you have heard of this about this, and this is the most absurd thing ever.

I know the reasons behind this though. On the 1968 Demoratic Convention, protest got out of hand and police brutally beat many people. This has been the same for following conventions. I believe that is illegal.
The Consitution clearly states:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

or the right of the people peaceably to assemble
PEACEFULLY. The 1968 convention turned to chaos only because the protesters began to skirmish with the police attempting to control the crowd.

If we say we want to peacefully assemble, it says nowhere in the constituion that you need a permit to protest. I believe that this is one of many many small ways the goverment is trying to strengthen their grip on the public and public thinking.

I mean look at this, so many people want to protest the war here, I multitudes of friends attempting to protest the Iraq war, and the Middle Eastern Crisis, but in defiance they won't get a permit, as just another goverment blunder.

I'm sure this has been brought up, but I want to put this up for disscusion.

I firmly believe that our Rights given to us have been violated.

*I live in St. Paul and don't want to get a stupid permit to protest!*

[edit on 16-4-2008 by wilmiester]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wilmiester

Well all it can be done is use the power of the people and show in masses for the protest then let the city see the demonstration.

Oppression in this nation is very well alive and thriving but is always attached with rules and regulations.

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
True, I hope people can inspire others and all who oppose to join forces and show the politcal world what we 'citizens' can acually do. I just do hope someday we get a leader who is couragous enough to speak out against immoral actions such as in Iraq and across the United States.

For instance, I was in San Fransico over the 5th anniversery of the start of the Iraq War. I was appaled by some of the testimony soliders were giving there.

I surly do hope, and I want to take action against.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Permits = manipulative stonewalling.

Are they gonna then require permits for everytime someone wishes to speak?

It's a blatant disregard for the constitution and what it stands for, the protest should start in front of city hall for the elitists inside.

It's just another example to show to the folks who don't see trouble at home.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Do I need a permit to protest the permits?

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Its so typical of the goverment to do it. They give us one chance, then they basically put up martial law around the protest. I live incrediably close to where the RNC is being held, and I could almost taste it, but I just don't have the time to go down, and file for a permit. Its just for many people just says its for crowd control, so they can find out how many officers they are going to need there, but my next question to them.

Why will you need officers if it will be a peaceful protest? Why do you need goverement agents every 3 feet. Because they are power hungry. They are also not respecting our rights given to us in our constitution.

Oh yes, and also

It's a blatant disregard for the constitution and what it stands for, the protest should start in front of city hall for the elitists inside.

In fact, they are protesting, but you know what, the statesmen decide to walk around them and ignore them, caught up in their own beacracy

[edit on 23-4-2008 by wilmiester]

new topics

top topics

join