It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Simpsons Vs Family Guy VS South Park

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Yeah thats right let the war begin! But seriously what do you prefer?
Family guy to me has always been sub standard. And the new season season 6? I think there up to, and already they are losing there touch. I notice they are also fading out the "remember when" flashbacks.
I just cant see this show reaching a 10th season at that rate.
Now to the simpsons. I am probably one of the biggest fans of simpsons and seem to find a way to quote the show many times a day. But watching the new episodes is just plain depressing. I still watch every new epi preying it will be funny and.... well I get let down.
So that brings me to South Park. When this show first came out I really didnt think it was great, things like cartman constantly screaming wasnt funny to me. But the last few seasons have by far been the funniest of any animated show around at the moment. It is always so fresh and not scared to take on other people. (cartoon wars being a good example)

So I say overall the classic simpsons were the best but currently South Park is leading the way in comedy.
What are your thoughts?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Family Guy has it's moments for sure, but when you compare it to South Park, comes in a very distant second. Simpsons was a great show, and I never thought I'd say this but it may be time to stop making new episodes before they ruin the legacy of the show. I personally think that season 9 was the last truely good season. It still has its funny parts though, but overall the quality has declined a lot.

South Park is my favorite. I love the crude and vulgar humour, the fact that they can produce and air an episode in something like 2-3 weeks which helps it keep up with current events pretty well. If you haven't seen the last 3 episodes of Season 12, you're missing out on some pretty funny stuff (I loved the Heavy Metal tribute episode) It's also pretty cool that they basically have to make fun of everything equally and as much as they can to make sure that no one group is any less offended than another.

Family Guy is pretty funny, but all their ideas seem very recycled lately, even more so than usual. Oh well, still good for a laugh. I rate them 1.South Park 2. The Simpsons(older seasons) 3.Family Guy 4.The Simpsons(newer seasons)

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
my vote...

the simpsons

my hero

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Simpsons>>>Family Guy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>South Crap

I have tried so, so, SO hard to like South Park but i just don't like it. Sure i have laughed a couple of times at it, however, in general it is just too easy a style of humour. The Simpsons use of sattire is wonderful, not as good as it used to be, but still good. If you know what they are making fun of, it is twice as funny. Family Guy is fun for some cheap laughs.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I like em all basically.
I dont have really a preference,so I will try to order them.

1.South Park
2.Family Guy
3.The Simpsons

4........LiL Bush

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Family Guy.

I own a lot of DVD's and a lot of television seasons on DVD. But only a handful do I make sure I own every season available. Family Guy is in there. Any time a season is released on DVD, I have to pick it up immediately.

I love the Simpsons and I haven't watched South Park in years. But Family Guy transcends the whole cartoon genre, something I don't think either of Simpsons or South Park was able to do.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If I were to make a list of prime time animation mine would go.

1. The Simpsons seasons 1-10
2. South Park (newer seasons)
3. Futurama
4. Family Guy
5. Ren & Stimpy
6. Beavis and Butthead

theres been some other ones that have ok moments like Drawn Together but overall I think these are the best ones

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
South Park wees all over the Simpsons from a great hieght. The new episodes of SP just get funnier and funnier,and wronger and wronger. The new Simpsons just leave me feeling used. Futurama is good,but again it's limited. Family guy is hit and miss,sometimes it's pant wetingly funny,other times it's cringeworthingly (that's not even a word,is it) bad.

American Dad is pretty cool,and is has loads of NWO references in it.

[edit on 15/4/2008 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Ohh I forgot American Dad I used to hate that show but lately have been gettin more into it. Pretty much because roger is a crack up.
I also didn't mention King of The Hill because basically it sucks major ass.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRobarto
6. Beavis and Butthead

imo, NOTHING will ever top them.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Nothing was funnier than the Simpsons back in the early-mid 90s. I'm quite shocked anyone would suggest otherwise!

posted on Apr, 21 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Myself, along with many others, feel that the newest season of South Park just isn't as funny as it used to be. I haven't even laughed at several of the new epsiodes. Makes me sad.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
my favs are
1 - family guy
2 - futurama
3 - american dad
4 - simpsons

i must say im bored of the simpsons.
i cant stand south park its sucks ive tryed on many ocassions to watch it but i just cant get into it

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I like them all, but I like southpark the best, I actually think there is some very clever humour going on, and the creators are really open minded and are obviously the same type of people that would come to ats.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Family guy is great for cheap laughs, you can pay attention for 7 secs and get a joke. Everything in the cartoon is just a pointless joke...

The Simpsons is a classic...

SOuth Park is my favorite though. No other show uses satire so well, no other show will go so far, no other show willGo after every group.

Also, right after 9/11, South Park was pretty much the only show to take the issue right on, and insulte the enemy. When 99% of stuff on TV is Anti-American, South Park went Boldly at the issue... Telling the REAL reasons the war was going on, and how it started, YEARS before any moron in the major Media said anything about it... The Episode is "Osama Bin Ladin has Farty Pants' and its in the 5th season...

South Park can be hit or miss, sometimes, they take an episode or an idea too far(See the Snuke in Hilliary Clinton), but they hit the issues on the Head 9/10 times... Everything in South park is Epic, the Charecters have SUCH depth... Satan being gay, The Sotry of Mr. garrison... Its classic...

SOmetimes i think the South park Humor goes over some peoples head, Each Episode has a meaning, Save for a few...

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
The Simpsons is the best one. It is not as funny as it once was, but it still has some great episodes in each of the seasons. This past season was better of late.

South Park is an unusual series to say the least. It is gross, disgusting and screamingly funny at times.

Family Guy will have to construct a new manatee tank for the spin-off Cleveland. The jokes are funny at first, but the show is wearing thin. The Star Wars episode was funny, but that it.

For those who like satire, try "The Venture Brothers" on Adult Swim (Cartoon Network at night).

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I think the Simpsons is hands down the best out of the three during its 'golden age', for me thats anywhere between seasons 3 and 11. After that it starts to go on a decline, for various reasons which are hard to pinpoint exactly, but overall it's just not as funny. Admittedly I haven't watched a single new episode which has been broadcast in the last year at least, but at some point I just gave up watching after giving it many chances to redeem itself.

Family Guy I really liked when I first started watching it, but I dropped off from watching it at some point, not because I didn't like it anymore but simply because I kept missing it when it was aired (I'm terrible at remembering program scheduling anyway, I usually have to resort to dvd releases to truly watch a series all the way through!). The flashback jokes were funny for a while but started getting stale after a bit. I think the writers realized this though and cut back a little, so crisis averted. Thing is Family Guy has always been good I thought, but it's never been able to captivate me as long as the other shows have.

Now South Park is pretty hit and miss. The first season or so wasn't all that great, most of the appeal was actually the sheer craziness of the plots and the crude and shocking nature of it (which was a big deal during its debut, less so now). Soon after though it started getting really good I thought, with some good topical humour and at times portraying some pretty deep and genuine messages. I actually prefer it when SP gets all preachy about something, it's funniest like that.

The thing with SP is it's very hit and miss, especially with the newer episodes. Some episodes are pure gold, and then you've got some real stinkers as well (Lice-capades springs to mind).

Overall I like them all. I think in terms of providing the best, most memorable and funny experiences The Simpons takes the gold, with SP taking Silver and Family Guy taking Bronze. As a rule of thumb, most Simpsons episodes between S3-S11 is good, past that though they're actually pretty bad. SP has its good and bad episodes spread out, the good are really good, whilst the bad are truly bad
. FG is pretty constant throughout. No particularly memorable episodes for being good, but at the same time nothing that really stands out as bad either.

EDIT: Oh just to add, Futurama which I completely forgot. Just a personal observation from real life friends and relatives but it seems to me that the younger crowd rate it much higher than the older generation. Personally I enjoy it (I'm 21) but I can sort of see why I think. The majority of the shows characters are relatively young by comparison to the simpsons (the most common comparison it seems) and the themes of the show (technology, the internet, the future) seem to resonate better with the younger generation too it seems.

[edit on 26-8-2008 by Rmar64]

top topics

join