It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Thread Ranking System

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I like the idea but already another person is being VERY VERY hostile about his topic not getting enough votes. In fact I think people are voting it low because of that (maybe that is the check/balance). So good idea, will be interesting to see how it goes...

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
i'll play along, but I'm not sure if it is really good idea. People might vote negatively because of the author of the thread and not the consider the quality of his questions or opinion.

but keep on testing and let's see what happens

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Phonenix:
i think you have hit the nail on the head
this system will be used by those who are in disagreement with what is said not on quality

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
sadly i must agree the system may be misused. but there will always be one or two morons that will try to misuse any sort of rating system for one reason or another i belive it is a good idea lets see how it plays out

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
A new experimental feature is being launched this morning that allows members to rank any thread from 1 (poor) to 10 (excellent). The goal is to allow all members participating in ATS to help define which content is superior, and which needs more work.

First I have to say I love this. Scales are my life, and everything can be reduced to a number, seriously.

But I can't hold my tongue on one aspect of the trial system. Terminology. I may get a well deserved STFU for this, but "rank" generally implies an ordering system where #1 is the absolute best or first among many. I believe what we are doing is "rating." It may be a small point, but in the absense of this "explain all thread" I would be lost. In fact, before seeing this thread I took all the #1's I saw to mean best in category. My bad.

I can get used to any key you apply however, but just wanted to speak up on behalf of any similarly confused new people or anal retentative marketing research professionals such as myself.

But again, cool feature.

PS - I may be waaay to used to scales but in case "rating" is too long to fit in the header bar, I would normally put "1-10" if it were my tables with the intent being obvious. Maybe not. "Rank" is fine. I'll shut up now.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Great added feature for sure!

The only thing that I see that may become a problem:

Bias:
* bias towards the information,
* bias towards the one who initiated the thread/post, and bias, and
* possible unobjective bias of the person of rates the thread.

The scenerio goes something like this:
The member will open the thread, see the title, view who intiated the thread, read bits and pieces, possibly never take into account the content, the presentation, the amount of information, and the argument or issue of possible debate, and either, unobjectively, rate it lower or higher based on the threefold 'bias' I mentioned above.

I have already noticed some threads that have good presentations, good amounts of information, and good issues to discuss and/or to debate and rated low. In such, I understand that the rating system is probably more a subjective determination rather than an objective determination, but, all-in-all, I guess the law of averages will be the determining factor?

Great feature besides my beef with it so far. Time will tell eventually, and I look forward to this being a great feature for members of ATS in allowing them to 'give credit where credit is earned' and to rate how they think an article/issue is presented, the information content, the debatable questions or thoughts presented, etc. In truth, 'bias' is always a factor I guess, so maybe this is not a 'real' issue at all.

Figured I'd chime in my few cents worth.

regards
seekerof

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Yes... however... There will be those few 'gem' threads that emerge with very high ranks regardless of overall bias of a group of members. If, after a month or so of using this 'rating system' we find it easier to identify and visit those gems, wouldn't the every-day bias of rating the rank-and-file filler threads be worth it? In other words... 80% of the daily threads might experience some form of bias in the rating... but if the other 20% 'cream of the crop' threads are more easily identified this way... I say it's worth it.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
If our masses are anything like all those "rate the hotties" site masses, a really, really, really good "Gem" of a thread would be lucky to be a 6 after a few hundred votes. That's just how people are.

Not the best comparison, but I've seen women that clearly have the blood of the Gods in their loins get a "3" on some of those sites. I guess we'll see how ATS members behave shortly.

Alot of low scores already but probably deserved. If nothing else, this should increase the effort in posting.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Will the score of the thread affect the starter of the thread?

Next thing we should have scoring system for individual posts.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If you like a post, vote for that person in the Way Above award. If all goes well, we'll probably have "Thread of the Week" awards where the thread author receives bonus ATS points.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I'd say this thread it more of a 6.9

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic I'd say this thread it more of a 6.9
Oh come on, my avatar is worth more than that!

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

If all goes well, we'll probably have "Thread of the Week" awards where the thread author receives bonus ATS points.

Does the new ranking system put a lot of strain on the ATS server?

Suggestion: Just like in Today's Post, could you include the score the thread in each forum page? So we will know the score of thread without acutally going in the thread.

[Edited on 2/25/2004 by surfup]

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
You know what, I never really liked the idea of "rating/ranking" threads (I've seen it on lots of boards), but with all the good arguments that have been presented in the current thread, I now see this as a damn good idea! Way to go S.O.

Your avatar does rock, but I prefered the first one about "A Clockwork Orange" you did.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
well, i'll give you an 8.7 on the avatar.

appy polly loggy

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
its happy polly lodges by the way

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I have a suggestion about the score system. It would be helpfull to know how many votes a topic has recieved. a score of 5 with 20 votes cast means a lot more to me than a score of 5 with one vote cast.

(BTW will there be any hanging chads built into this system?)

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
eh, sorry, my nadsat rusty

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I have a suggestion about the score system. It would be helpfull to know how many votes a topic has recieved. a score of 5 with 20 votes cast means a lot more to me than a score of 5 with one vote cast.

Great point. As you said the thread with the most votes will have the best rating.

posted on Feb, 25 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin
I will not be using this new feature.

I agree. I dont think this feature is a good idea. it has the potential to be abused and cause problems down the road.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join