It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Stonehenge Clues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Archaeologists have recently been digging at Stonehenge (for the first time in 40 years) and new evidence suggests there was an older stone circle there, made up of bluestones.

Professors Darvill and Wainwright say that finding out more about the history of the bluestones could be key to solving the mystery of why the 4,500-year-old landmark was erected.

They believe that the bluestones, which were transported 250km (150 miles) from the Preseli Hills in Wales to the Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, were brought to the site because the ancient people believed they had healing properties.

Professor Geoffrey Wainwright said the site could have been a "Neolithic Lourdes".

The giant sarsen "goal posts", which came from about 20km (12 miles) away, were thought to have arrived much later.

So this got me thinking, if the original Stonehenge was improved upon much later with these huge stones which we see today and which must have been a massive undertaking to erect, does this mean the original Stonehenge purpose worked so well they upgraded it or made it more prominent? I think so.

I'm not sure I believe that it was a healing place as the article suggests but wouldn't it be a good idea to try and re-erect these bluestones to see what happens there and to see why these larger stones were added much later?

Link - news.bbc.co.uk...

Also doesn't this make Stonehenge much older than previously thought? it doesn't mention this in the article but surely it does?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I believe that the original was made of wood - and an example of a wooden one has been found.

Woodhenge

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Good find, never heard of this place before

I cant see where it says the post holes are older than the stones though, but seems interesting that another place had the same configuration of stones.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Very Very interesting stuff.

It all makes sense now

It is all falling into place now,

I have developed a theory,

First the facts,

1) Otzi the Iceman, (3500bc) was born in austria but lived south of the alps in italy most of his life, in a place where people have lived for 12,000 years.

2) Otzi and his people were were more advanced, in some ways, than the other people in the area, they made Yew wood long bows.
Bows not all that different from the bows used by the legendary Welsh longbow men of the middle ages.

3) Otzi died of combat wounds, and was fleeing his italian home when he died.He had a fatal arrow wound.
He was headed north into austria.

4) There is a place in Ausria, high in the alps, where there is an "observatory" or calendar, I believe the oldest on the continent.
It is a peak

Sorry got interupted by the ex-wife

It is a peak that is surrounded by other mountains.
I believe there is a small set of sighting stones in ring. If you sight along a set of sighting stones, on the morning of of the equinoxes, the sun will rise over a peak or between a set of peaks, cant remember which,
and on the solstices the sun will rise over a different set of peaks.
I'm trying to find the article I read about this in.

5) Stonehenge (2200bc) was built on an older site (3200bc)

6) Burried near stonehenge, was a man who became known as the "The Archer" (2300bc). He likley died from arrow wounds
It has been determined that the archer was born in AUSTRIA, but the person who was burried next to him, his son, was born in the area.

Ok my theory.

Otzi and his people were driven from their home in Italy, and kept on going, till they got to britain.
Once they got to britain they needed to be able to tell what time if year it was so they could plant their crops and perform the various ceremonys the needed to.
But they didnt have their place among the peaks to make sense of the skys, so the built there own, first in wood, then later when they had
become more numerous they built a stone replica.
And they used a spot the earlier inhabitants already considered sacred or important, and had already put some sort of marker there.
And as succesive peoples came into the islands they were pushed into what is now wales and are the welsh.
One last piece of info, there is a small isolated valley in austria, where the local language is VERY similar to welsh.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by punkinworks]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

One last piece of info, there is a small isolated valley in austria, where the local language is VERY similar to welsh.

Can you ID that?

You aren't talking about Romansh are you? That is a Rhaeto-Romance language.

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Heres a thread I did in breaking news a while ago. Had a few links to different sites about the rebuild of stonehenge some of it dates back quite a ways. www.abovetopsecret.com...I keep a eye on this thread to see if you find anything new and interesting.

new topics

top topics

join