It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Must Boycott The Olympics!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
The olympics will be in China... think what that means... it means we are sending our prized athletes to a communist country with no regard for human rights. Is that really such a bright idea? To send the best your country has to such an oppressive country? Do we want to send them to a country were 1000 people are killed every year without a criminal trial?

China never should have been awarded the games in the first place. Do you seriously believe bringing the games to china will make it a better country? You should seriously think again. Nothing will change China. Sending athletes there will not stop communism and it will not stop them from killing innocent Tibetans.

It doesnt have to happen though, if people like you and me take action. There is only one medal that China deserves, the medal for being the most oppressive country in the world.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I don't see how a boycott would change anything apart from destroying the spirit of the Olympics, and what will it do to the ordinary citizens of China? Haven't they suffered enough living under a communist regime?
Think of it this way, imagine a boycott of the US for conducting the illegal war in Iraq. Is that fair to the ordinary Americans? Of'Cause not!!

You do know the Olympics have been held in communist countries before, even Nazi Germany hosted the Olympics without athletes getting killed.

No one will dispute the appalling human rights abuse that goes on in China, but boycotting the Olympics isn't going to fix that.IMO..

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Ok I agree with you.What do you propose we do to stop the games?I'm not going and not going to watch them what else can I do?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
There must be other and better ways to protest, than to boycot the Olympics. Leave the Olympics alone! Why ruin it for all of those athletes who have worked so hard and prepared for this event? It makes no sense.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by styxxz
I don't see how a boycott would change anything apart from destroying the spirit of the Olympics, and what will it do to the ordinary citizens of China? Haven't they suffered enough living under a communist regime?
Think of it this way, imagine a boycott of the US for conducting the illegal war in Iraq. Is that fair to the ordinary Americans? Of'Cause not!!

You do know the Olympics have been held in communist countries before, even Nazi Germany hosted the Olympics without athletes getting killed.

No one will dispute the appalling human rights abuse that goes on in China, but boycotting the Olympics isn't going to fix that.IMO..

im not saying that boycotting the olympics will fix it but i am saying that china does not deserve to have the olympics.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Im not worried so much about the olympics as i am worried about the athletes risking their lives for a medal.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SuperSlovak
The olympics will be in China... think what that means... it means we are sending our prized athletes to a communist country with no regard for human rights. Is that really such a bright idea?

Jesse Owens wondered the same thing about America, during the 1936 games in Germany.

He wondered why America would send him to run in a country that thought he was no better than a monkey? Then... return to his own country (America) with 4 gold medals to endure the same racist insults, while being forced to eat cold left-overs in a Diners storage room? Question to the OP, which senario is better?

To send the best your country has to such an oppressive country? Do we want to send them to a country were 1000 people are killed every year without a criminal trial?

Boy... it's funny how history seems to repeat itself. Skip a few years back and your description applies to America very very well sir... Are you throwing stones in your own glass house?

China never should have been awarded the games in the first place. Do you seriously believe bringing the games to china will make it a better country? You should seriously think again.

If you hadn't realized... the fact is... your Walmart CEO's are making China a better country by outsourcing American jobs at a breakneck pace!

Nothing will change China. Sending athletes there will not stop communism and it will not stop them from killing innocent Tibetans.

Know what... They say the same about Americans... sending Soldiers will not stop Demcoracy & Blackwater from killing innocent Iraqi's.

It doesnt have to happen though, if people like you and me take action. There is only one medal that China deserves, the medal for being the most oppressive country in the world.

China also says... and they quote you on this again... "there is only one medal America deserves, the medal for being the most aggressive country in the world."

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
okay level x, are you saying china is a wonderfull happy place for the olympics to take place?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I believe it is an excellent opportunity to expose the people of China to our western ways. Give them an inking of the freedom we have.

Holding the Olympic games in China could be the catalyst that starts a revolution among the young people. Just the simple act of our young athletes interacting with the Chinese athletes might cause them to question their own government. After all, the young people of China will one day be it's leaders.

IMO the protest will not have a positive effect. The many people from different countries ascending on China has a chance to be a very important step in better relations and improved human rights.

Let the games begin.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

okay level x, are you saying china is a wonderfull happy place for the olympics to take place?

Yes, and it's 6000 years old. Far older than New York.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

im not saying that boycotting the olympics will fix it but i am saying that china does not deserve to have the olympics.

Fair enough, but as Hellmutt pointed out, athletes around the world have trained hard for this and they are (or should be) the real focus of the Games, not China.
I think China DOES deserve to have the Olympics. They have come a long way, heck they aren't real (pure)communists anyway. But apart from that politics doesn't(shouldn't) have anything to do with the Olympics

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

To send the best your country has to such an oppressive country? Do we want to send them to a country were 1000 people are killed every year without a criminal trial?

So others shouldn't come to the U.S.A?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Someone has said already but it is worth repeating.
Do not use the Games as some political tool. It is repugnant for all that it stands for.
The sacrifice athletes make just for the dream of making it to the Olympics... a boycott should never even be concidered by anyone at anytime.
Why don't we boycott the SuperBowl next year to protest the Iraq war?

President Carter made some sweet mistakes during his time, but Moscow had to be his greatest.

Understand what the Games represent and not just the economic and political aspects that are secondary.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Im hoping protesters we have seen on tv over the last few days dont decide to voice their opinions in china at the time of the olympics. I imagine punishment would be rather different than a slap on the wrist like they receive in europe.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The Olympics is supposed to serve as an ideal of what global unity can be.

In my judgement, those who politicize the event diminish their cause.

If you don't like China, don't buy their products.

Leave the Olympics alone.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I think if we were to accept any criticizing of our own country by some of the same standards you mention, there would be plenty of dirt to dig up on how we treat the poor, mentally ill and uneducated. Also, the prisons we maintain are also brought up in regards to human rights and personal safety. No doubt there are far worse countries and prisons with high mortality rates. Do we really need to start bringing up what we already know and suspect in our own country? Neglect and abuse aren't much different and tend to have similar outcomes.

So, if we really made truthful comparisons, especially along with any possible classified government projects, we would most likely be very similar.
To boycott these olympics will most likely guarantee even more suffering there. Stop calling the kettle black when you can't disprove your own country's abuses and neglect. Still, I think it's safe to say that we are having a different kind of war with China and that after our involvement in Vietnam and the middle east in Iraq, we shouldn't be throwing stones.
Would you rather send your kid to Irag or the Olympics?

I don't know why, but this song came to mind : It's too late by Carole King

Lyrics: www.loglar.com...

Maybe I should ask my therapist?

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
China should not have been awarded the Olympics.They violate the Olympic charter stated in fundamental principle 2 of Olympism.

"The purpose of the Olympics is to place sport at the service of the harmonious developement of man,with a view to promoting a peaceful society concerned with the preservation of human dignity.Any form of discrimination with regard to a country or a person on grounds of race,religion,politics,gender.or otherwise,is incompatible with belonging to the Olympic movement."

So you see regardless of what MSM says or govts around the world ,it is very much an issue.Im not watching or buying anything with the 2008 logo.The chinese people are good no different than anyone of us.The govt however is guilty of all charges listed here.

The PDF format is availible from their website.Google Olympic charter.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
The Olympics has always been the one place even sworn enemy countries could come together as one, and in peace. Most were performed naked. Naked of hate, infighting, years of predjudice and venom. Except of course the 11 Israeli athletes getting gunned down in the 70's. Boycott lead tainted toys, goods from China. But don't hang social unrest around the necks of Olympians.
It is not the forum for it.
Slovak to slovak. 'No idea of human rights'.
Sigh
Sure many Iraqis might have a say on that. It's a matter of perception.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is one reason to leave politics and sport separated,as well as relgion for that matter, this is the chance for the chinease people to have a world voice, but of course it is not in the best interest for the USA or Britain for the olympics to go ahead, and for one simple reason.

For as long as i can remember china has been sold as the bad guy along with the old USSR, we have all seen the suffering people endure haven't we?

Well i think they don't wish anyone here or in the USA to see it was all propagander, they don't wish us to see the truth, remember its only the communists who do these atrocities isn't it?

Yeah right Britain and the USA have a clean human rights record don't we?

Its all BS, they don't want the truth out, they want us to remember the bad stuff, not to see the cultural side which has nothing to do with it according to them,

i can see the Olympics being abandoned because of all this boycott it rubbish, lets no be like our bigoted leaders, or the clueless voice to stop them in evil china,

Don't let the organized protests in Europe make your mind up for you, those where a little too well Organized if you ask me, Cops running sourounding the runner with the flame, and in France the cops extinguished the flame 5 times because of the protesters, cowardly French back down again,

So how about being a voice for the people who train their hole loves for this chance huh? this is not about politics its about courage, courage to participate..

[edit on 8/4/2008 by azzllin]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Have you been keeping tabs on the torch prostests lately? Some reports say the flame was indeed put out from people throwing water at it...

another protestor was arrested for charging at it with a fire extinguisher.

China knows that people generally care more about a good buy than they do about Tibet. That's why Canada imported 38 billion worth of merchandise from China last year, including machinery, toys, furniture and clothing.

We like our cheap goods and they're good for the economy.....

We sure do. Perhaps, at least, we could wear "Free Tibet" buttons.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by SuperSlovak]

<<   2  3 >>

join