It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-16 Intruder?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Alright, I have this Co-worker who told me of a time he was by what he believes was a Northrop facility and told me how a Northrop engineer pointed out a few planes in the sky that were flying by.

The engineer called them Navy F-16 Intruders. This was back in 2003-2005(time frame). Now, I found several discrepancies with this story, so I showed my co-worker pictures of the Grumman A-6 Intruder and he says, through memory that it was similar to what the planes he saw looked like.

I told him there were never any operational Naval F-16's, but he seems very sure that the engineer said "F-16 Intruder".

Now I'm not sure, it was definitely NOT an original military designation, perhaps a contractor-specific designation?

I'm just trying to find out for my co-worker if what the man said was really true. The aircraft definitely fit the description of the A-6 Intruder. Does anyone know anything else about a possible Navy F-16?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Varients of the f16 can be found here

www.f-16.net...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
You are correct that an Intruder is an A-6. As far as I know, the Navy doesn't fly any F planes, only As, but then it's been over 20 years since I was in the Air Force and actually paid attention to all those nifty planes taking off all day and all night.

Of course, I have no inside info. But if there is such a thing as an "F-16 Intruder", I don't think it'd be much of a secret if they were flying them routinely out of a Northrup Grumman facility.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
www.f-16.net...

Navy F16's might be a varient of these

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I would say your friend probably misheard him. The F-16 is designated the Fighting falcon, not Intruder where as the A-6 is.

Also the navy has no use for a naval based F-16 fighter as the F-18 is far more advanced and can fill more combat rolls making the carrier a stronger fighting platform.

A carrier can only carry so many planes. F-14 Tomcats are being phased out now that the F-18 is so capable so I would highly doubt the F-16 would go naval. Now with the F-35 in development it makes it seem even more doubtful.

I'm betting he just misheard

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I never had to study nor heard about a navy f-16 thru my years of tech school for f-16/f117 crew chief training......

im sure if there was a navy f-16 one of our instructors would of ranted about it as he was ex navy himself....

maybe he said his son jeff was turning 16 lol joking

anywho, have a great day...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
A couple thoughts spring to mind.

F-16 "Agressor" ? The -16N was a landbased a/c delivered to the Navy for use in the agressor role.

"A-6" Intruder: this makes more sense because the plane is produced by Northrop Grumman and the event occured at a Northrop plant. Include in this category the EA-6 "Prowler"

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
The Navy operated F-16N aggressor aircraft out of Mirimar NAS (now Mirimar MCAS) for the Top Gun program in the late 1980's - I got to see a flight of them coming in for a landing one day while sitting near the end of the runway

I've never heard them referred to as "intruders" though.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Another thought.

-6E would sound something like 16. So "A-6E Intruder" might be a case of him mis-remembering the prefix and mis-hearing the suffix.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well he said it definitely had two engines and what looks sounds like (to me) a fuel probe or pitot tube jutting out of the nose of the aircraft. He said there was a protrusion on the nose of the aircraft.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
The Navy still operates the F-16N. For the first time in history a Top Gun class was cancelled because all but one of the F-16s is grounded.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Well he said it definitely had two engines and what looks sounds like (to me) a fuel probe or pitot tube jutting out of the nose of the aircraft. He said there was a protrusion on the nose of the aircraft.

Shattered OUT...

What your describing sounds like your standard A-6 "Intruder"

Pict: www.globalaircraft.org...

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   

all A-6Es were fitted with the AN/AAS-33 DRS (Detecting and Ranging Set), part of the TRAM (Target Recognition and Attack, Multi-Sensor) system, a small, gyroscopically stabilized turret, mounted under the nose of the aircraft, containing FLIR boresighted with a laser spot-tracker/designator and IBM System/4 Pi computer.

= protrusion on the nose of the aircraft.

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
That electronics suite is located below the nose, he was talking about the protrusion on top, which closely resembles a pitot tube. That thing on top of the nose is also part of the electronics suit?

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
You mean the refueling probe? That's all that is, is to take on fuel from the tanker.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   

all A-6Es were fitted with the AN/AAS-33 DRS (Detecting and Ranging Set), part of the TRAM (Target Recognition and Attack, Multi-Sensor) system, a small, gyroscopically stabilized turret, mounted under the nose of the aircraft, containing FLIR boresighted with a laser spot-tracker/designator and IBM System/4 Pi computer.
= protrusion on the nose of the aircraft.
Wee Mad Mental

WMM what your describing is actually the dome under the nose that is visible in your picture just visible in-front of the air intakes and below the refueling probe which is mounted above.

Not sure if you where trying to point out the correct thing or not. If needed I can highlight the dome but its really the only bulge under the nose.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies

Shattered OUT...

The refueling probe is the sideways "L" from the top. The protrusion on the nose, would sound like the TRAM turret to me. I think this is case closed. A-6E or A-6D Intruder.

top topics

join