It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to being Christian?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
When i was growing up, (not that long ago, heck, I'm still growing up really) I was taught Christianity. Anyone who wanted to accept Chritianity could go into a seperate room and accept Christ. I whent three times. I had a bad memory, and I generally dreamed events at school fairly accurately, so I wanted to make sure I actually did it.
I was not a good christian, i suppose. I stole, lied, did what I felt I need to do o stem some of the abuse from my fellow classmates. ( I was a shrimpy little white kid in a majority black school, I'm not being racist, most of those kids were all right, some bore a needless grudge though.) I was sort of press ganged into it, I'll admit. Hell or paradise eh? I'll take... he-Paradise please. Meant to say paradise right off. Honest.
But after that I spent time learning, and being taught what it meant to be Chritian in the variouse churches I've gone to, and the variouse religiouse folsk I've met.
CONTINUED
edit 'cause I stink at spelling.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by RuneSpider]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
To be an honest (occasionaly), decent (mostly), humble (I suck, seriously), and above all, helpful person (One thing I'm proud of).
But most of all, to be the best you can, God does not expect, nor demand perfection. He shares our joys and helps us with our woes. No for awhile, i'll admit I didn't have faith. Most days, I still don't, to be honest. but I've had some expieriences that won't be denied, no matter how hard I try. But that's a different topic.
I was taugh to be the best i could be, and while I've failed that point i beilive, I've seen others take Christianity, something that I was once proud of, and turn it into something it shouldn't be. It's a rallying cry for hatred, intolerance, war, terror, agression. Instead of taking lessons from it and using it as a guide, the Bible is being touted as the final word on all things. People are frankly denying the brains God gave them, and instead using anothers thoughts to dondem others. I

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
as has always been the case, the louder voices, which so often bear no intentions of peace and understanding, are using Christianity to provide reason for hate and intollerance. It's no wonder that so many fine peopleleave or imediately rebuke Chritianity. I am no great practicioner of the religion, something I before stated, but it offends me deeply to see something that could be so good, tainted so often and repeatedly by outright fools who claim to defend it. The word is good. The ideas are good. But the loud voices drown out the actions of the quiet good it seems. I was taught to be a quiet Christian, to not pray on street corners, but in my room. To not crow about helping another. To not convert by words, but by honest deeds. kind words, honest hands, and when needd, strong shoulders. To accept all equally, and make no judgment by race, color, or religion. But it seems this has been forgotten. It saddens me greatly.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Yes, Rune, it saddens me greatly also. You were raised the right way. Christianity is not what it was meant to be any longer. Many of us have left the church for that very reason, but I still believe myself a Christian and study the Bible and live my life as best I can.

I know that I will one day meet the Father and speak for my own actions, not someone's else's. We are probably living in the end-times church where in Revelation we are told things will be turned topsy-turvy in the churches. We must select our beliefs and churches carefully, because, as people, especially the younger ones, we can be easily swayed.

There is a lot of false gospel being taught now and we must be ready to test the spirits in light of the Bible to know the truth.

Take care. If you need any help, just ask me. I'll be glad to help you.

I_R

join