It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "subtle signs" of a faltering economy

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Our President, George Bush, has finally mentioned a "slowing" of the US economy. He's a pretty observant guy, don't you think?

Some signs are obvious.
Fewer Housing starts, weakening dollar, sensitive stock market.

There are also other signs, more subtle.

A few that I have noticed:

1. Store brand Macaroni and cheese in 12 packs on the end caps at the grocery stores. Peanut butter too.

2. More people using coupons at the check stands.

3.Fewer Starbucks cups in the trashcan at work.

4. More coworkers bringing their lunches, rather than eating out.

Simple, minor, but noticeable if you look.
I've been doing some cost cutting too. Less entertainment, planning errands to turn them into single trips, instead of multiple trips.

Since running a household is a lot like running a business, I'd like to know what other members might be doing. What have you noticed?
How have you changed your lifestyle? Or has it changed at all?

What you say here, might help other members shave a little off their monthly expenses . So, let's hear it!

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I've noticed fewer sales of items I used to buy, like frozen turkey breasts.

Also, 10 for $10 sales. These sales are often misleading because it is more economical to buy the large packages of these products.

The ever shrinking package that keeps prices even but gives you a little less product.

Fewer shopping carts filled to overflowing.

We've always shopped sales, used coupons and shopped by route.
I don't know what I will cut IF I have to go that route.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Are you mindful of leftovers?

I used to be, a little. But whatever was leftover would sometimes sit in the fridge until it morphed into something fuzzy and green.
Or as George Carlin used to say "Is it meat? Is It cake? no, it's MEATCAKE!"

But now, I will only buy storage containers that are see-through.
I like to know what's in those containers!
Yesterday's chicken becomes tomorrow's pot-pie. I just can't stand to waste food at all anymore.

Also, At work we have a little privately run deli. She is about to go out of business for two reasons. One, people skip lunch, or bring their own. Two, we have had layoffs, so her customer base is quite a bit smaller.

OH, I almost forgot. We used to get free coffee at work. the limitless pot.
Now, a little is rationed out in the morning, and a little at night.
People have to bring their own. So we do.

[edit on 5-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well rising living , fuel costs , the draught and Fonterra having increased payouts to Kiwi Dairy Farmers it is no wonder people are feeling the pinch at the supermarket and the pumps. A loaf of bread that cost 89C six or so months ago now costs $1.09 . Pretty much now if you spend the same amount the same amount at the Supermarket that you did two years you will come out with a hell of a lot less.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Hello space -- just a tip to save you on new tupperware. A roll of masking tape and a sharpie. Simply "label and date" your tupperware whenever ya' load one up. If it hits 4-5 days ya' know to use it or lose it

And here's a couple items re: the economy...

More than 50 percent chance of U.S. recession: Greenspan

"This period is going to be much more difficult, from the point of view of monetary policy, than the period during which I was chairman of the Federal Reserve," he said.

www.reuters.com...

"SOMETHING BIG OUT THERE..."

There have been some crazy things going on recently. The changes that we are being asked me make per corporates direction makes me think that the people at the top think something VERY big is going to be happening to the economy soon. I don't think the media or the government is giving us the full details of what is actually going on, but I think the CEO's and others at the top are fully aware and are making plans.

www.surfingtheapocalypse.net...

Obviously that 2nd one can't be verified, but I'll buy it for now.

posted on Apr, 29 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Here is another subtle sign.

A local Kennel..One of the best in town..Is having to lay-off a few workers.
I use that kennel when we go on vacation. Great people, they really love the animals (dogs get a choice of Fresh chicken or Roast Beef every morning with the kibble)..But people are cutting short vacations, or not going at all.
I suspect the ones that are still taking a vacation, might be instead, hiring a neighbor to look in on their critters instead..

[edit on 29-4-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
A clear side effect of the reduction in consumer spending is the measures that Retailers are taking to in order to get people to open there wallets. Strangely I have found that this is best reflected in the combo packages that include a digital camera , memory stick and a camera case . In fact I was able to take advantage of the economic slow down by getting my Mum one such a package for her Birthday.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well this thread is getting some age on it, and a lot has happened since then.
Not sure I would call it "faltering" any more!

So here is a bump, for new contributors.

Something I've noticed about pricing, at the local Safeway grocery store:

1. Regular price
2. Card member price 9 I have a rotating set of 3 cards, to keep them guessing)
3. Quantity discount price.

the third option is most welcome.
Now, if you decide to buy 15 cans of diced tomatoes ( a staple at my house), you can save an additional 10 to 20 cents per can. This is true in their meat department as well.

Are any other stores doing this, that you know of?

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

All of the things you mentioned...and more.
Local big grocer here in Northern California is frequently publishing a $20 dollar off $100.00 purchase (coupon). I have a close friend that works there...she tells me they have had a very noticable drop in sales. We are talkng groceries here...everyone has to have them. So that is a big thing...when a grocery store will give you $20 off a hundred, and they are not even excluding sale items. Milk and alcohol is excluded...but other than that, load up on all the non perishable sale items, and you do really well.

Also many automobile dealers in the town I live in have gone under. Like 7 of them...and I live in a rather small foothills town.

Now Gottschalks is closing in this town...and many Starbucks. Also, all home decor stores have closed (5) and many restaurants have boarded up. Some of them just last year at this time were so busy that there was an hour long wait list for dinner. Untold small business's have also closed, and walking down mainstreet there are many many empty storefronts.

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Yep, we've had a couple if Auto dealers go down.
Further reduction of other retailers too, even since I opened this thread.

Mom and Pop shops are going fast. Not much reporting of that, sometimes it's just one or two employees losing their jobs. But it all adds up

[edit on 11-4-2009 by spacedoubt]

posted on Apr, 11 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Hope it is cool to post this video...along the lines of your post.
And let us not forget the tent city here in Sacramanto, CA.

new topics

top topics

join