It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Recession is a Media Myth"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

"The Recession is a Media Myth"

www.foxnews.com

Over 4.5 times more negative news stories discussed a recession when the economy under a Republican was soaring than occurred under a Democrat when the economy was shrinking.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
This is Faux News at it's finest. Spinning the propaganda machine for the Bush administration. I can't believe that they have the audacity to publish this.

Here is a good one:

True the inflation rate over the last year has gone up to 4 percent, but that is still lower than the average inflation rate under all the presidents from Nixon through Bush’s father.

Gas prices are indeed up 33 percent over the last year, but to get an average of 4 percent means that lots of other prices must have stayed the same or gone down

Last I checked www.fivecentnickel.com...
Gas prices aren't included in inflation numbers.

Indeed, gas was up 29.6%, heating oil was up 28.3%, and public transportation was up 7.2%. Grocery prices were also up 5.6%, with dairy leading the way at 13.4%. The problem here is that gas and groceries are omitted from the so-called “core inflation rate,”

I recently saw an article asking weather or not Faux News will continue to exist after the Bush Administration is out of office. With the garbage like this, I have to hope that they will be gone.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-4-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
im confused? Is media lying to us about recession or is the media exasperating this situation???

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
this is complete crap, its unreal they expect us to believe this.
No matter what they say, I can see it, most of my friends are unemployed or having severe financial issues.

Gas prices are holding us down, less boatings and leisure traveling, and less free money to spend.

Rupert Murdoch is an idiot, we are not that stupid.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
.....And we just fell off the turnip wagon.

How can they insult us this way?

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
april fools?

it has to be a joke, seriously...

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Translation:

There's no recession! A bunch of people just got poorer and prices went up on everything. Oh, and nobody wants our money. That's all. If it were a recession, the Federal Reserve would be taking drastic and stupid measures to bail their rich friends out of career ending situations....

....uh....

Hey, look! A unicorn! *points*

*vanishes*

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Who woulda thought,
the amount of internet website hits from 2000, to 2008 is VASTLY Different.

this is BS

HOW MANY PEOPLE RELIED ON THE INTERNET IN 2000 for NEWS? compared to today?

In 2000, the economy was in MUCH Better shape than today, todays events are drastically different, and for all the WRONG reasons.

In 2000, confidence in America was HIGH, very high, today no one trusts, likes or wants to INVEST in the US.

The reason there's 4 times more bad news articles about todays economic woes, compared to other economic downturns.. is simple.

There was no internet in the 1920's!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Actually, it is a myth that is propagated by the fear mongering MSM and sites like this. You guys have been hearing it so much that it's turned into a truth. It's apparent that you don't even know WHAT a RECESSION is if you think that we are somehow in one!

The problem with the media is that, well, it's that they are predicting in the first place. They just want to be the first one to announce anything so they can say, "You got it here, first!" Announcing who wins the Presidency should ring a few bells.

For those of us who actually still have a long term memory that hasn't been occluded by fear mongering and paranoid spin, we would remember that the MSN has been "predicting" a recession for the last 5 years.

Don't you remember the "economic indicators" they used? It seems like the fools here do the same thing. Well, for starters, they used sweater sales, Starbucks coffee, and mobile homes. You people can't even remember a few years back when hurricanes were supposed to cause a recession? How about global warming?

The "housing crisis" was not the result of the NWO, but the result of poor decision making on behalf of the people.

Sorry to say, but in the words of Bush, "The economy is, and will continue to experience strong growth" is actually true. I know it bums you out, but the GDP growth for 2007 was positive since FEB 2007, and has continued to rise, and so it will too for 2008. The third quarter of 2007 grew by nearly 5% in fact. The GDP grew for March, and unemployment rates (4.8%), as well as inflation (4.1%) are pretty typical.

Quit playing the victim. You have financial issues now, and you've had them 5 years ago. Quit acting like it's not your fault.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr. Ree
Actually, it is a myth that is propagated by the fear mongering MSM and sites like this. You guys have been hearing it so much that it's turned into a truth. It's apparent that you don't even know WHAT a RECESSION is if you think that we are somehow in one!

The problem with the media is that, well, it's that they are predicting in the first place. They just want to be the first one to announce anything so they can say, "You got it here, first!" Announcing who wins the Presidency should ring a few bells.

For those of us who actually still have a long term memory that hasn't been occluded by fear mongering and paranoid spin, we would remember that the MSN has been "predicting" a recession for the last 5 years.

Don't you remember the "economic indicators" they used? It seems like the fools here do the same thing. Well, for starters, they used sweater sales, Starbucks coffee, and mobile homes. You people can't even remember a few years back when hurricanes were supposed to cause a recession? How about global warming?

The "housing crisis" was not the result of the NWO, but the result of poor decision making on behalf of the people.

Sorry to say, but in the words of Bush, "The economy is, and will continue to experience strong growth" is actually true. I know it bums you out, but the GDP growth for 2007 was positive since FEB 2007, and has continued to rise, and so it will too for 2008. The third quarter of 2007 grew by nearly 5% in fact. The GDP grew for March, and unemployment rates (4.8%), as well as inflation (4.1%) are pretty typical.

Quit playing the victim. You have financial issues now, and you've had them 5 years ago. Quit acting like it's not your fault.

...or the entire economy is a myth perpetuated by those with power against those with out power.

...and the MSM predicting a recession is "predictive programing". This program tells the masses what to expect, this way it seems like a natural progression as opposed to a manipulated event.

...obviously the GDP is a grossly inaccurate measuring tool as it is dollar based and reports economic pitfalls like wars and natural disasters as positive indicators.

...if we subtract the military industrial complex from the GDP, the outlook is not as positive

...oh and if we subtract the financial sectors subprime write downs,that are based on the assumption that the US government will bail out the sector with years of future taxpayer money.... oh my!

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Ree

You and I must live on different planets. I just can not fathom how you can come to the conclusions that you have.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
MR REE is very right.

The hatred of our beloved president is so great by so many non-Americans that it even jades our news.

All I have to say about the sub-prime loans scandal is "give ME a house I clearly can't afford and let someone else pay for it".

I had 2 kids get jobs that pay fairly well for there age and lack of formal education. Youngest son is in college, he has a job as a web server / router tech and makes over $20 an hour. Oldest Daughter has no interest in college, works at a major chain store and makes over $15 an hour. Jobs are out there for the taking, most American kids don't want to do hard work that gets them dirty.

Gas prices are high, but they are not part of the inflation index since Jimmy Carter took it off to make his numbers look better.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hinky

First off, this isn't even the point of the thread. The main point of the thread is that everyone else in the world is showing how the US is in a recession and treading in unknown financial waters. Yet Fox news claims it is a lie, propagated by the media to smear the republican party. The article then goes on to show how things are better now than the were when Clinton was in office. Especially considering the fact that they blatantly lie in the article (using gas prices as an example of inflation not rising).

Regarding your post:
I don't think you are looking at the big picture. Simply because you have 2 kids that managed to land a job, doesn't mean that we are not in a recession. Recession or no, I personally don't care what it is called, we are in some very questionable economic times right now. The question isn't so much what is happening right at this very second, but what long term damage has been done and what can we expect 6 months, a year, 20 years from now, all as a consequense of what has happened recently.

The federal bail out of major banks (as of last night UBS is reporting a 12 billion dollar loss for last quarter and looking for some assistance) is not an indicator of a healthy economy. The 12 Billion dollars a month that is being spent on a war that the majority of the country doesn't even want, is not healthy. The dollar being at the lowest level in history is not a good sign. Energy prices at record levels is not a good sign. Food prices dramatically increasing is not a good sign. The most people ever are now using food stamps, also not a good sign. .... the list goes on.

The writing is on the wall. I fail to see how people can continue to deny it.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I love the people who say inflation is low IE the government and their appolgists. Food and energy is excluded which happens to be what we are getting bent over the most on. Yeah other things are low compliments of Chinas dirt poor wages they are paying over there and makingu the stuff for nothing and we then import that deflation over here.

Now in regards to the thread fox news just continues to amaze me how gross they are. For all of you who say I am un American because I feel there is a recession Im not un American Im a realist and I dont sit back and buy everything the government and their propaganda machines throw at me.
Oh to add to all your points Karl I did a thread here
www.abovetopsecret.com...'
where soup kitchens demands are on the rise and the funny thing is a lot of the people have to go there actually have full time jobs...yeah things are real great.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Beloved president? No recession?

That's why i may have to move in with others so we can be one big freaking happy family.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
More rubbish being squirted from the rotten chasm that is faux news. In a time where MSM is so transparently infiltrated and corrupted by the corps/ gov/ M.I.C. trio, they are the worst of the worst. Yep---"Everything's going awesome, you people are all deluding yourselves, there is no recession, nothing to see here, move on sheeples!" LMFAO

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

This is Faux News at it's finest. Spinning the propaganda machine for the Bush administration. I can't believe that they have the audacity to publish this.

Here is a good one:

True the inflation rate over the last year has gone up to 4 percent, but that is still lower than the average inflation rate under all the presidents from Nixon through Bush’s father.

Gas prices are indeed up 33 percent over the last year, but to get an average of 4 percent means that lots of other prices must have stayed the same or gone down

Last I checked www.fivecentnickel.com...
Gas prices aren't included in inflation numbers.

Indeed, gas was up 29.6%, heating oil was up 28.3%, and public transportation was up 7.2%. Grocery prices were also up 5.6%, with dairy leading the way at 13.4%. The problem here is that gas and groceries are omitted from the so-called “core inflation rate,”

inflation under bush II lower than all the president's from nixon thru bush's father. GEE i wonder if that is because after reagan they re-weighted the index and excluded food and energy. GEE whiz.

I wonder if this also shows the economy is growing at 1 or 2 % when in fact (due to inflation being around 7% last year) that in fact real GDP was negative 2% at LEAST. But wall street runs the economy and wall street is a confidence game, plenty of room and will to politicize numbers.

the funniest/ messed up part of the whole "game" is that U.s taxpayers (including me) complain about all this bailout business, but so long as we have the world reserve currency, foreign govt's and citizens will continue to foot the majority of the bills, if it wasn't for this ingenious rip-off, even fox news would not be able to try to sell "the low cpi inflation" numbers , inflation would be about 30% w/o having the dollar as world reserve currency. Sure the lower and middle classes have been losing ground in america, however it would be alot worse (nite and day) if the dollar is no longer accepted by Saudi Arabia.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by cpdaman]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Lets all move to Florida and pick oranges!

I cant beleive the denial some people are in- as if they're living in a bubble, totally untouched by the economy.

How much worse will it get? We wont know because our posters who post the truth will be without internet facilities under a bridge somewhere.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by adkchamp
im confused? Is media lying to us about recession or is the media exasperating this situation???

Do you mean exacerbating?

I mean, the media is always exasperating, but in this case they may be exacerbating the situation.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman

Originally posted by Karlhungis

the funniest/ messed up part of the whole "game" is that U.s taxpayers (including me) complain about all this bailout business, but so long as we have the world reserve currency, foreign govt's and citizens will continue to foot the majority of the bills, if it wasn't for this ingenious rip-off, even fox news would not be able to try to sell "the low cpi inflation" numbers , inflation would be about 30% w/o having the dollar as world reserve currency. Sure the lower and middle classes have been losing ground in america, however it would be alot worse (nite and day) if the dollar is no longer accepted by Saudi Arabia.

[edit on 1-4-2008 by cpdaman]

...and the scary part is that there was no housing crisis until "potential buyers" started to ask,

"How much is this property worth?

How much will it be worth in 5,10,20 years"?

When the answer was "less" people stopped buying, Hello melt down !

Now, when potential dollar buyers ask, "How much is this dollar worth?

and the answer is less than the Euro, buyers ask "Why am I buying dollars"?

The stability of the dollar is based on the loans that were establish to be payed back in dollars.

Ultimately, as long as potential borrowers want to borrow dollars the dollar will live, but at a certain point, potential "lenders" will not want to be paid back in a trading instrument that will be worth less when its paid back, so they raise the lending multiple(interest)

The "fit hits the shan" when the interest rates make the loan impossible

Then the cycle is stagnation followed by deflation, prices will drop but no body has any money to buy anything

Then you hit the hyper space button !

new topics

top topics

join