It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers Assault Epilepsy Patients Via the Computer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Hackers Assault Epilepsy Patients Via the Computer

www.wired.com

Internet griefers descended on an epilepsy support message board last weekend and used JavaScript code and flashing computer animation to trigger migraine headaches and seizures in some users.

The attackers turned to a more effective tactic on Sunday, injecting JavaScript into some posts that redirected users' browsers to a page with a more complex image designed to trigger seizures in both photosensitive and pattern-sensitive epileptics.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
What on Earth is this? First it's virus and trojans now it's psychological attacks?

This is really grinding my gears. Epilepsy is not funny, it can even be life threatening in some patients.

I swear, if I ever encounter one of these hackers I will tape their eyes open and force them to look at the Sun.

Unbelievable. Just pathetic. I feeling like cursing right now because this is just too serious to be avoided.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
First of all, there are always two sides to a story. If you had followed up and watched the Faux News snippet from last year regarding these "Hackers" you would be considerably enlightened about the smear campaign against what is perceived to be a growing anarchical force.

Secondly, the other side of the story would be found if you had simply gone to a ny major image board such as7Chan and investigated on your own.

I do not condone what these people did, that is sick and twisted. However Wired is pointing the finger in the wrong direction, and anyone who takes some time to look into it will see who their rage should be directed upon.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I don't think it matters who done it. These things should not happen no matter what.

Screw scientology and those crud websites promoting inappropirate behaviors. (You will know what I mean if you browse the websites enough).

I've witnessed my teacher's daughter having a seizure at school, it was scary as hell. i can't imagine how it would feel if I was that person.

Websites exploiting each other is just stupid. It's a bunch of low-life jobless idiots trying to prank others.

posted on Mar, 30 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
As an epileptic I have to say this is so.... Hilarious!

This is amazing.

Also as a security professional I find this to be... Brilliant!

All this does is continue to show how vulnerable we all are due to our dependence on the digital medium, and it's constant lack of thought for security of the data and the users who use it.

Who would have ever thought that we could intentionally cause seizures due to a lack of security. Wow... talk about driving the point home.

Unfortunately, this will not be the lightbulb it needs to be for society. We will continue to rely on the easy methods which are presented to us and never get around to fixing those pesky security flaws... I mean who would target "Me?"

Evidently, this question keeps people from fixing their security issues and thinking it's just not that big of a deal.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
maybe these sick minded guys were actually merely mercanaries hired by certain organization to test out what they can achieve on internet....

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is like Hitler trying out his weapons in Spain.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Now a days Hacking is as simple as Download Link, upload proggie, and Run....

specialy with all this info about britney spears an NWO theres also info on how to hack an do things of this nature, hacking isnt about information anymore... its about feeling in control... its a power complex if you take these skills any further that result in the harm of another.... that goes against alot of what hacking was thought to be about.

with this being said, these Script Kiddies are either that Kids, or they were achieving another goal while leaving a primary goal as a distraction......

good quote from anti trust " all things are in 1's and 0's, your either alive or dead....... "

[edit on 31-3-2008 by Trance Optic]

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Why? To what end? How, for example would a person 'know' that he had achieved his goal of making someone ill this way. And what kind of success would it represent?

If this is true - spit on them. Like we don't have enough crap to worry about on the net. But something makes me suspect this is a propaganda piece.

It would make sense if you wanted to create an 'enemy' on the web - one that could be accused of all sorts of nasty stuff. Along the lines of the dreaded 'Anonymous.' who we should all be fearful of, no?

Beware these pieces of 'news' identifying new 'bad' people to hunt down and punish. I'm sure their epilepsy programs will soon be responsible for stock market crashes around the globe.

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
just more trolls going after people who are like victims in a tragedy. These are the type of people who would troll after people for no reason. THey must of gotten bored with trolling just single people and decided to go after an entire board full of people.

sick I say, just sick.

Tela

posted on Mar, 31 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
Secondly, the other side of the story would be found if you had simply gone to a ny major image board such as7Chan and investigated on your own.

I would go there, but my work blocks it:

"Access to this web page is restricted at this time.

Reason:
The category "Sex" is filtered."

top topics

join